Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Now that is one nice hammock, I have never seen one that looked so good. I like the black and the covered top. I would like to make one like that. Great Job!

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Nice hammocks! Nice pics! Does anybuddy know where the fabric is currently available? The vendor mentioned doesn't. Google doesn't. All I can find is a slew of Chinese manufacturers that would be more than happy to run off a boatload or two for me I'm particularly interested in a lightweight hammock fabric that won't stretch like a rubber band
    b
    bob

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Does anybuddy know where the fabric is currently available?
    Here's a link to this fabric at Rockywoods. It says "limited quantity" so you might want to give them a call and see how much they have.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Thanks, Jerry; I had searched and searched that site without success. How you found it beats me but my order is IN. Now we get to see if they still have it in stock.
    b
    bob

Images
    Does any body know what a Claytor No Net is made from? It is the "nicest" fabric I have found, it is different from all my other hammocks, it has less stretch than all my other hammocks. And with a double layer, narrow but 10 feet long, it weighs about 22 oz with stock suspension. A couple of times I have noticed a good bit of static.

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    A much simpler approach to discharge the static, take your arm and reach down to the ground and touch it with your hand. I too have a polyester hammock and when I have my fleece pullover, I can not only feel the static build up when I get in but I can hear it popping left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Here's a link to this fabric at Rockywoods. It says "limited quantity" so you might want to give them a call and see how much they have.

Jerry
    J~

Do you notice a significant difference in stretch of this fabric vs nylon?
    Also, how do you know from looking at the rockywoods site it is poly? Did you get a sample and burn test it? I hate that they don't always tell in the description what you are buying.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    J~

Also, how do you know from looking at the rockywoods site it is poly? Did you get a sample and burn test it? I hate that they don't always tell in the description what you are buying.
    I feel like there is less, or no, stretch compared to my previous ripstop nylon hammock. Of course I don't have a way of measuring stretch, but that's how it feels.

TeeDee originally found this fabric. In his thread about it he said he did a burn test and determined it's polyester. I burned some, along with a piece of nylon, and they are definitely not the same material. I also weighed it and came up with 1.93 oz./sq.yd.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    J~

I have not exactly measured the difference in stretch.

I first noticed the difference in stretch on our Bridge Hammocks. After making quite a few Bridges out of nylon, I noticed some polyester micro-fiber on the Rockywoods web page. After some emails back and forth, I ordered enough for 3 Bridges (and now wished I had bought all of their stock - that original polyester micro-fiber was even better than the polyester micro-fiber they now have or had).

With the first Bridge I made from the polyester micro-fiber, I noticed something rather strange. I set it up with a ridge line equal to what I had been using with my nylon Bridge since the dimensions of the polyester micro-fiber Bridge were exactly the same as the nylon Bridge I had been using. To my surprise and consternation, the polyester Bridge wasn't as comfortable. After a minute or 2 examining the situation, I realized the problem - I had an inverted banana hammock with the polyester Bridge which meant that my butt was higher than my head or my feet. That can only happen if the ridge line is too long, pulling the side arcs too high, hence lifting the butt.

Shortened the ridge line to solve the problem and the polyester micro-fiber Bridge was now even more comfortable than the nylon Bridge.

The shorter ridge line for the polyester micro-fiber Bridge was due to the much reduced stretch of the fabric. The nylon Bridges stretched more, dropping the butt more, which necessitated a longer ridge line to pull the side arcs up, pulling the butt up, compensating for the butt drop due to the stretch of the nylon.

I have been using the polyester micro-fiber exclusively now for many months and so forget the exact amount I had to shorten the ridge line, but I'm pretty sure it was on the order of approximately 6" to 10".

For a ridge line difference that is a LOT of difference. So my inexact measurement yields a LOT more stretch in the nylon compared to the polyester.

I have the same flat lie of the previous nylon Bridges, but the polyester micro-fiber fabric is much softer than any nylon fabric I had used. In comparison, the nylon fabrics felt "stiff and crinkly" when we did some comparison tests. Both the nylon and the polyester micro-fiber fabrics have DWR treatment, so I am pretty sure the micro-fiber is the reason for the much softer feel. I have a micro-fiber shell jacket and the shell fabric feels really soft and luxurious. That is what that original micro-fiber fabric felt like. The polyester micro-fiber fabric that Rockywoods is now selling has a kind of "sticky" side which the original micro-fiber fabric didn't have. By "sticky", I mean that if you slide you hand across it, it doesn't slide smoothly, but we just use that side on the outside of the Bridge.

As a side benefit of the polyester micro-fiber, the shorter ridge line means that I can keep the Bridge hammock and suspension triangles inside the 10' ridge of the JRB tarp which means I can use the 11' side to better cover the sides of the Bridge. With the nylon Bridges, I was forced to use the 11' ridge on the JRB tarps. So multiple benefits.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I have found polyester microfiber NON-ripstop in several Walmarts, and have used poly taffeta for a few gathered end hammocks and it's very comfy. Sorry, that's as scientific as my assessments got

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast