Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat

Climashield/PG- Does NOT need to be quilted? Laminating?

Hoi all. I am making a blanket of Momentum and Climashield. And for reasons of warmth and longevity, would really prefer not to quilt it, and only sew around the perimeter. Is this a bad idea?

Kifaru claims on their site that Climashield is so tough that quilting is not needed. But perhaps they are 'laminating' the CS to the fabric like Wiggy does?

And on that subject, what kind of glue do you think Wiggy uses?

I appreciate any thought and suggestions from you Maestros.

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    Found a couple of references to no quilting needed here and at WhiteBlaze. That is good. Trust people here 100X more than pinche kifuru.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I only tack quilt my top quilts, my under quilt I just sew the edges and hang it underneath. I have had no problem with this set up now for 3 years. My top quilt would probably be fine without it, but it gets pulled a lot more.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    I have been using up to 4 layers of CS in a WB UQ for a while now. It all seems about the same as when I got it, though it MIGHT have lost a small amount of loft, not really sure.

Any way, it has one layer of ~ 1 sq. yard permanently sewn to the UQ nylon, around the perimeter only. To that I have added( or removed according to season) from one to 3 layers, which I "quilt" ( don't know if that is the right term) to the previous layer, again perimeter only. So far no problems that I have noticed.

Keep in mind that this then hangs down below me, which I would think would be tougher to control than if it is laying on top of you. I imagine the biggest challenge is stuffing and compressing. WBG, if memory serves, recommended not stuffing it, but rolling it and then inserting in it's Bishop style stuff sack.

But, so far so good. Though it has not been used on trips all that much yet. Used on a one week trip with 3 total layers in there and maybe half a dozen nights, with one to four layers. But some of these did not involve rolling it up and putting in it's sack.

Ray Jardine says the batt will eventually tear if you don't quilt it, I quilted mine. Unless you are selling these things, there is no reason not to quilt it. The reason manufacturers don't qulit is simply labor cost, it is slow work.

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    OK. Thank the three of you. Immensely. I am feeling much more comfortable with the project now. I'll just sew the edges, and if any problems ever present in the future, tack then. No quilting, no glue.

Wiggy says quilting will mat the polarguard. I suppose the Ray Way is gentle enough to avoid that, but I want to avoid poking any more holes in the DWR than neccesary so the thing can double as a bivy (either way up). If I roll instead of stuff, hopefully the batting will not tear.

Thanks again, and take care.
    Last edited by fishtar; 03-13-2010 at 11:08. Reason: puncuation

• + New Posts