Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    If I were looking to save weight for a warmer-season thru hike of the long trail, trying to complement already owning a 20 degree incubator, what would people suggest in terms of an UQ? Is a Phincubator just a slightly longer Phoenix? That seems kind of ideal to me. Right now I hesitate to leave my 20* UQ because my DIY topquilt hasn't been vetted to super cold temps yet, but I think I'll pick up a 20 or 30* Burrow or Enlightened Equipment quilt eventually to get a premium option.

To that end, how do people feel about non HG quilts? I've heard tons about their topquilts and think they would suit me well, but do people have any vouching to do for other brands? Again, EE seems to me to get the best reviews, and is maybe the most versatile for ground sleeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanversPort View Post
    Is a Phincubator just a slightly longer Phoenix? That seems kind of ideal to me.
    Yes it's a Phoenix plus whatever extra you want on the foot end. I opted for a 30° version with an extra 10" (62" total instead of 52" like the Phoenix). I like this since it covers my calves and even my feet, which are always the first to get cold if I do.

When it gets colder I go with my Short (72") 20° Incubator.

I've always went with Hammockgear since that was my first try and found no reason to change. But there's a lot of good manufacturers out there.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Yesterday I sold my 0° set to help finance my oldest daughters trip to Florida for the National Cheerleading Competition, so come this fall I'm gonna be in the market for a new set. At only 5'6.5 ( yes the 1/2" matters lol) I had my Burrow made to a custom length. They started with a short/standard and removed the top chamber, between that and the overstuff I had them put in the very bottom of the footbox, made it roughly 6" shorter. That was perfect as it came to just under my nose if I pulled it up all the way. My Incubator was a Dutch edition, so standard length / width. It was more than long enough and if my head was just inside the head end, I had a foot or so left past my feet. When I order my new 0° set this fall, I'm gonna go with the ECON line I think. I'm gonna get the same Burrow modifications / overstuff , but I'm not sure on what length to get the UQ. Should I go with a short Incubator, Phoenix or maybe a " Phincubator" ? I'm typically a cold sleeper, so I'm gonna have a bit of overstuff added this time, and I always sleep with a small pillow inside my TQ under my feet to eliminate heel pain. I don't think a Phoenix would bother me since I have a pillow under my feet now anyway, its just a matter of length... How short can I go but still have full coverage? I haven't looked at the numbers yet since I just sold the Incubator yesterday......
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    but I'm not sure on what length to get the UQ. Should I go with a short Incubator, Phoenix or maybe a " Phincubator" ? I'm typically a cold sleeper, so I'm gonna have a bit of overstuff added this time, and I always sleep with a small pillow inside my TQ under my feet to eliminate heel pain. I don't think a Phoenix would bother me since I have a pillow under my feet now anyway, its just a matter of length... How short can I go but still have full coverage? I haven't looked at the numbers yet since I just sold the Incubator yesterday......
    The Short Incubator (72") is a safe, full coverage for me at 5'9". That would be a safe bet for you. You can play around some more, but being a 0° I'm not sure it's worth the risk if you're using it in the cold.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thanks Mark, that's what I was thinking too. I just wasn't sure if I could get away with going even shorter, but you raise a good point in not pushing it too far since its gonna be a -0° UQ pretty much. I hated to let my current 0° set go, but I'm excited to try out the Econ line when I reorder in the early fall. I'm gonna go with the same 60",custom short length, +3oz Burrow and maybe add a small draft baffle at the head end. For the Incubator, I'm gonna take your advice and just go with a short, you're right that should be plenty long enough. I am gonna add a bit of overstuff though to match the Burrow and truely have a -10° set!! If I have the willpower this summer to get rid of some of the quilts I don't really use much I might get a 40° Econ set too. If I do that, I think I'm gonna go with an Econ Phoenix. Thanks for the advice brother! God my wife is gonna kill me if she finds I bought 2 more quilt sets!!!! Good thing the new ION fabric for the Econ quilts comes in dark olive green and black so I can try to pass off the 4 new quilts as the 2 I just sold!!! Lol
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah the only reason why I'm pushing it with the 62" Phincubator is because that's a 30°...my "warm weather" quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234