Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Claytor Exped is 4 ft wide.... you can lay slightly asym.... I sleep well in one... about 6 foot and 200 lbs is the comfort max IMHO

They are not as roomy as the HH, but it is a fine starter or occasionioal use item.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Claytor Exped is 4 ft wide.... you can lay slightly asym.... I sleep well in one... about 6 foot and 200 lbs is the comfort max IMHO

They are not as roomy as the HH, but it is a fine starter or occasionioal use item.

Pan
    Pan
    Just curious as to why you refer to it a "starter hammock or occasional use item". I specifically chose the Jungle hammock over all others and couldn't be happier.

Miguel

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Pan
    Just curious as to why you refer to it a "starter hammock or occasional use item". I specifically chose the Jungle hammock over all others and couldn't be happier.

Miguel
    Miguel,

My post was reference to the Mosquito, same size as the expedition, not the much larger (and twice the cost) Jungle Hammock that you refer too.

I referred to it as a starter or occasional use item because it is just barely wide and long enough for comfort for a 5-11/ 6-0 person, the mosquito is very reasonably priced for full bug protection. We have found they sell to scouts and folk looking to try hammocking without major investment. Don't get me wrong, it is a great value and a good hammock, especially for smaller folk.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    For the price I wonder if I would be better off going with a HH Scout. It comes with a tarp and is lighter weight. Though the Claytor Exped would be nice for hanging without the screen. Would be nice for the backyard, or on a picnic too. It might also bee good for my son to use.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Without having used (or even seen) one, I’m interested in why Hennessy’s have such a large proportion of the market. The ridgeline deal may be it, but it seems to me like the bottom entry/exit method would be OK for people on the move, but less so for people just hanging around (pardon the pun!).

Are all of their models bottom entry?

6 ft
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    Without having used (or even seen) one, I’m interested in why Hennessy’s have such a large proportion of the market. The ridgeline deal may be it, but it seems to me like the bottom entry/exit method would be OK for people on the move, but less so for people just hanging around (pardon the pun!).

Are all of their models bottom entry?

6 ft
    I own 2 Hennessy hammocks. A big reason Hennessy hammocks are so popular is because Tom Hennessy was a pioneer in bringing camping hammocks to the marketplace. They are even sold in some REI stores as well as many independent dealers. I'm in the process of making a hammock. It will be about 10 feet from whipping to whipping. I keep hearing about how comfy a longer hammock is. My Hennessy's are comfy and work great but I can see where a longer hammock would give you more of a "sweet" spot to lay in.
    Assuming the Scout model is bottom entry, all models have the bottom entry.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    The Scout is bottom entry. However, it is diamond shaped and not asym.

I just ordered a new HH Expedition. I could not resist, I found it for under $100 including shipping. I already own a HH Ultralight Backpacker and love it. They are very comfy, light weight and the bottom entry is great. The bottom entry system helps prevent the bugs from getting in under the netting, as typically happens with a top entry hammock.

I love everything about my HH.............
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I own 2 Hennessy hammocks. A big reason Hennessy hammocks are so popular is because Tom Hennessy was a pioneer in bringing camping hammocks to the marketplace. They are even sold in some REI stores as well as many independent dealers. I'm in the process of making a hammock. It will be about 10 feet from whipping to whipping. I keep hearing about how comfy a longer hammock is. My Hennessy's are comfy and work great but I can see where a longer hammock would give you more of a "sweet" spot to lay in.
    Is that 10' along the ridge line or the fabric length?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Fabric length
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Fabric length

The Hennessy site has a table that gives fabric dimension, and resulting hammock dimensions for their various models

http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html

Looks like 10' fabric length is used for the Expedition, Ultrabackpacker Asym., Hyperlite, Scout, and Desert Rat (all resulting in a 8' 4" hammock length). The only smaller hammock is the Adventure Racer. So if the ones you've been comfy in are among these models, and you want to make a "longer" hammock than one of these, perhaps you need to start with more than 10' fabric. I imagine that the method you use for wrapping could affect the length, the HH method takes up 10" on each end evidently.

measure twice, cut once, you know

sez he who dares to voice an opinion among talented DIYer's, but has yet to sew a stitch, let alone assemble a whole hammock

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 06-10-2007 at 17:12. Reason: more context provided

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast