Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The Hennessy site has a table that gives fabric dimension, and resulting hammock dimensions for their various models

http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html

Looks like 10' fabric length is used for the Expedition, Ultrabackpacker Asym., Hyperlite, Scout, and Desert Rat (all resulting in a 8' 4" hammock length). The only smaller hammock is the Adventure Racer. So if the ones you've been comfy in are among these models, and you want to make a "longer" hammock than one of these, perhaps you need to start with more than 10' fabric. I imagine that the method you use for wrapping could affect the length, the HH method takes up 10" on each end evidently.

measure twice, cut once, you know

sez he who dares to voice an opinion among talented DIYer's, but has yet to sew a stitch, let alone assemble a whole hammock

Grizz

10' is the length I plan to make. I'll order 11' of ripstop. Minus 6" on each end after whipping = 10'
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Miguel,

My post was reference to the Mosquito, same size as the expedition, not the much larger (and twice the cost) Jungle Hammock that you refer too.

I referred to it as a starter or occasional use item because it is just barely wide and long enough for comfort for a 5-11/ 6-0 person, the mosquito is very reasonably priced for full bug protection. We have found they sell to scouts and folk looking to try hammocking without major investment. Don't get me wrong, it is a great value and a good hammock, especially for smaller folk.

Pan

I understand now and agree with you.

Miguel

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    10' is the length I plan to make. I'll order 11' of ripstop. Minus 6" on each end after whipping = 10'
    ah, of course.

I'm 6' 1" and started first with an HH of the size of an Expedition or UBL. Felt a little cramped. I've moved up to an Explorer---another 10" in finished product---and it is nice.

I'm envious of TeeDee's Safari clone, which is a foot longer still.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    ah, of course.

I'm 6' 1" and started first with an HH of the size of an Expedition or UBL. Felt a little cramped. I've moved up to an Explorer---another 10" in finished product---and it is nice.

I'm envious of TeeDee's Safari clone, which is a foot longer still.

Grizz
    I'm 5'7" so 10' length should feel great. I'd like to make one as long as TeeDee's Safari but worry about end coverage of the tarp. My BlackCat ridgeline is about 12'
    If your reading this TeeDee, what size tarp you using for that monster?
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 06-10-2007 at 18:58.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I'm 5'7" so 10' length should feel great. I'd like to make one as long as TeeDee's Safari but worry about end coverage of the tarp. My BlackCat ridgeline is about 12'
    Yep. I have a MacCat Deluxe, and its ridgeline is just about exactly the wrapping-to-wrapping length on the Explorer.

well, I'm in no danger of being able to build Safari clone myself for a while...

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Hennessy site has a table that gives fabric dimension, and resulting hammock dimensions for their various models

http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html

Looks like 10' fabric length is used for the Expedition, Ultrabackpacker Asym., Hyperlite, Scout, and Desert Rat (all resulting in a 8' 4" hammock length). The only smaller hammock is the Adventure Racer. So if the ones you've been comfy in are among these models, and you want to make a "longer" hammock than one of these, perhaps you need to start with more than 10' fabric. I imagine that the method you use for wrapping could affect the length, the HH method takes up 10" on each end evidently.

measure twice, cut once, you know

sez he who dares to voice an opinion among talented DIYer's, but has yet to sew a stitch, let alone assemble a whole hammock

Grizz
    Actually the Hennessy method uses about 2" on each end. The ends of the fabric are sewn to form a tube for about 4" on each end. But the actual whipping is very minimal.

From my experience with my 12' (fabric) Hennessy style, it is a big difference over the ULBA et. al. One of my ridge lines is over 10', but the shorter ridge line at 113" is much more comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If your reading this TeeDee, what size tarp you using for that monster?
    That I'm still working on. I have sent Ed Speer an email inquiring about a cat cut tarp with a 12' ridge line. I like the design. I had dithered on a MacCat or BlackCat for a long time and even considered the JRB diamond tarp.

If I use my shorter ridge line of 113" and add 14" for the end whipping socks the JRB diamond is short by about 6". The MacCat Deluxe at 130" would give me about 3" more than the hammock with whipping socks.

If I use the longer ridge line, which I like much better with under insulation, the ridge line is 125" and adding 14" for the end socks, gets me out to 139", which is too long unless I get Brian to make a custom MacCat. Maybe the Titan?

I like Ed Speers prices on his Cat cut tarp much better and I like his design better over-all. The center tie out on the side allows for some closing in of the ends and the shallower cat cuts gives better coverage. If I can get him to do a custom at 12' on the ridge line at a price I can live with, that would really be ideal for me. The 12' would give me adequate coverage with the long ridge line and more than adequate for the short ridge line without getting too big. I think BB351 uses a 12' ridge line on his BlackCat and I think I read somewhere on the forums that someone was considering or doing a BlackCat with a 14' ridge line.

If Ed declines a 12' cat cut, I may have attempt a DIY cat cut based on his design. I really like it much better. I may even add 2 tie outs in the middle of each side for possible use when the ends are pulled close - not too sure about that though - I think it was slowhike that has already done that. That would give me a 12' ridge line and using the full width of the silnyl I would probably use a width of 8'. The weight would be somewhere between 14 oz to 18 oz which compares favorably with both the MacCat Deluxe and the Speer cat cut.

All in all, 12' ridge line on the tarp would be adequate.

By the way, I'm 5' 8.5" (my discs have shrunk ) and the 12' of fabric is really much more preferable over the 10' of the ULBA. Every time I have tried the ULBA again in the past week or 2, the ULBA just feel soooo much smaller. That 12' really spoils you. I could live with the ULBA again, but I really like getting spoiled with that extra 2'. It gives me a LOT more sag with the shorter ridge line. I have to hang higher, but it's worth it. Even with the long ridge line which gives a sag angle almost the same as the ULBA, the extra room makes it feel like it has more sag. Ed Speer is definitely right - longer is more comfortable.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 06-10-2007 at 20:05.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123