Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

in-tent hammock?

I just joined this forum, so hi! I'm a newb at camping and hammocks. We've been camping several times and one of the things I hate is sleeping on the mats in the tent. While I've never slept in a hammock, they sure feel comfortable while I'm resting in one and I'm guessing sleeping in one would be better, for me at least, than sleeping on those mats. We did have collapsible cots at one point, I can't remember why we're not using those anymore. At any rate, I was wondering whether there exists a portable, which I'll equate to light weight and collapsible, hammock which could be used inside a tent? I've read a few of the threads and did some initial searching but nothing jumped out as addressing this. Not sure if it's a dumb idea or not.

Thanks,
    Nick

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Any time you try to combine functions you end up with a compromise that inevitably weighs more and probably does neither thing well. There are hammock stands, but none that I know of designed to be used in a tent. If weight were no object, one could probably fashion something that wouldn't tear up the tent floor. It would probably eat up a lot of the tent interior.

One could try to use a tent as it's meant, and a hammock to hang inside it, but that would involve making passthroughs on the tent for the hammock suspension. Of course, the hammock would need to be situated between trees, and so would the tent, so you'd have to place the tent in a manner conducive to hammocks, rather than in a place conducive to tents (rocks, roots, etc.).

If there is such a hammock/tent combo (and none come to mind), I'm sure it will weigh a ton and cost an arm and a leg.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    I'm confused as to why you would want to do this. Hammocks use tarps that hang above you, if you were not aware.

Well I'm not that familiar with all the different types of hammocks but I was aware, after a little reading, that some of these hammocks come with some sort of cover. However, if I'm camping with my family then I'd like to be with them in the tent. I'm basically looking to be in the tent but sleeping on something more comfortable than the mats I'm sleeping on now. I was hoping a hammock might be possible.

I guess I should have also mentioned, and SilvrSurfr touched on this, that I would also need it to be low-profile so as not to take up too much room in the tent. I'm probably asking for too much, but with the light weight fabrics and cords I was hoping that a frame might be able to be fashioned out of something similar to those collapsible tent rods. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Thanks,
    Nick

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    Maybe you should check out the Tentsile.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdu View Post
    Well I'm not that familiar with all the different types of hammocks but I was aware, after a little reading, that some of these hammocks come with some sort of cover. However, if I'm camping with my family then I'd like to be with them in the tent. I'm basically looking to be in the tent but sleeping on something more comfortable than the mats I'm sleeping on now. I was hoping a hammock might be possible.

I guess I should have also mentioned, and SilvrSurfr touched on this, that I would also need it to be low-profile so as not to take up too much room in the tent. I'm probably asking for too much, but with the light weight fabrics and cords I was hoping that a frame might be able to be fashioned out of something similar to those collapsible tent rods. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Hi Nick,
    I don't know of any off the shelf hammock tents but if you are into DIY you could make one.
    You could also contact one of our many hammock/hammock accessory vendors and talk to them about a custom design.
    That is what I did and I could not be happier. This is a 12'RLx14' sylnylon tarp with doors, no catcuts, and I've added custom Al supports for snow loads in winter.

Last edited by OutandBack; 06-08-2016 at 20:14.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    For one google smokehouse hammock tent....yes one still needs 2 trees but is a hot tent ie winter shelter with provision for a wood stove that allows a hammock to be strung through.
    Google Hammock hot tents on here as well.... Myself and a few others have crafted various versions.
    Google WawHiker on youtube as well ...he fabbed one up

No matter what it will be a full on DIY project to design and build for your needs IMO
    There is a light freestanding hammock stand http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/page/w...-hammock-stand and then design find create fabricate a tent to accommodate it all...without a floor obviously
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Yes, I have used a standard patio hammock stand in a tent.
    It was a large tent, 6 man, 6-7ft height, etc.

Beyond that, lots of folks have setup standard turtle dog type stands in larger tents like canvas mil surplus tents.

There are also tarps that have knee walls and are darn near a tent with the exception of a floor and those are frequently used during winter camping to fully enclose a hammock and provide a warm comfortable hang free of the elements.

One of the limiting factors is that most stands need a minimum of 10' and preferable 14' length and want a height of 55-65" at either end. That means a big tent.

Another way to do it is to place the tent between two trees 15-18' apart and hang the hammock through the tent by passing the suspension through either end of the tent. This same idea has been used to hang a hammock in a screened in room with a tarp roof.

So yes, folks have thought about it, done it and you have options. But as others have pointed out, a tarp is the preferred method, it's easier and more adjustable.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Forgot to mention, the whole light weight and collapsible issue; no, not so much.

There are several stand, many that can be collapsed but nothing you are going to carry with you.
    BoonedoxUSA sells a stand that works well for shorter hammocks, those under 10', think ENO or Grand Trunk. It weighs 22lbs.

Several other stand types will weigh that or more. Smallest bag is likely to be 48" in length. Checkout the recent Kickstarter for the Tato stand.

http://boonedoxusa.com/collections/c...oducts/drifter

The lightest weight 'stands' involve trekking poles or dedicated poles, anchored and staked out with guy lines for support.

To get a stand, something like a boonedox in lighter weight material that is strong enough, that is going to cost some serious money. Same with the tripod stands. Car camping, sure no problem. Canoe camping, yep, doable. Hiking it in, eh, nope.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyBeans View Post
    Maybe you should check out the Tentsile.
    Wow, looks pretty nice. I guess that would do. I was looking for a hammock to put in a tent, but I guess these tents are pretty much hammocks which are tents. The downside would be that trees, or some sort of support, are required. I was thinking a collapsible frame for a hammock might be simpler, but will certainly check out these tree tents.

Thanks,
    Nick

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast