WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Do you cook under your tarp?

Are you worried about sparks? What type of tarp do you have?

Would you consider using a wood stove near your tarp?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I worry about sparks but have never had a problem. I cook under my tarp whenever it's raining, there's usually 4+ feet of clearance between just set up the tarp so you have clearance and take extra care. I make a point to not take the pot off with it going full bore. Just practice managing the stove well without the tarp in the picture first, and hey the fuel is free!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've boiled water under my tarp, but never cooked. I don't want that stank on my tarp. The last thing I want is a bear stopping by to tell me my tarp is tasty. Definitely never had a fire under any tarp (except my cheap, leaks like a sieve anyway, Guide Gear 12 x 12 tarp).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I have never used wood stoves under my tarp but I do use the canister stove under it. I think using it near your tarp would be fine as long as you dont get crazy with a lot of wood! It would also probably be better to have your tarp in lean to mode to help vent.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've boiled water under my tarp, but never cooked. I don't want that stank on my tarp. The last thing I want is a bear stopping by to tell me my tarp is tasty...
    Exactly my thinking.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Boing water with a small alcohol stove or a canister stove where you have consistent flame and or good control over it are one thing. Wood burners are another. Less control, chance of sparks and popping from pitchy wood all pretty clearly say no to use under or close to your gear. The question of open flame and or open fire under or near a hammock set up comes up a few times a year. You will get a few folks that do it and a bunch of us that say no. None of you hammock gear is flame resistant. It will all happily burn into a flaming lump of molten plastic right around you with very little encouragement. It does not take much of a flare up or group of sparks to turn your tarp, hammock, quilts pack and anything else handy at least into swiss cheese with little burn holes if not total meltdown. Add in the food smell issues mentioned above and most folks will give the idea a big
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I've boiled water under my tarp, but never cooked. I don't want that stank on my tarp. The last thing I want is a bear stopping by to tell me my tarp is tasty. Definitely never had a fire under any tarp (except my cheap, leaks like a sieve anyway, Guide Gear 12 x 12 tarp).
    Another +1 here. "Bear Burrito" is supposed to be a product name, not an incident report title ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Boing water with a small alcohol stove or a canister stove where you have consistent flame and or good control over it are one thing. Wood burners are another. Less control, chance of sparks and popping from pitchy wood all pretty clearly say no to use under or close to your gear. The question of open flame and or open fire under or near a hammock set up comes up a few times a year. You will get a few folks that do it and a bunch of us that say no. None of you hammock gear is flame resistant. It will all happily burn into a flaming lump of molten plastic right around you with very little encouragement. It does not take much of a flare up or group of sparks to turn your tarp, hammock, quilts pack and anything else handy at least into swiss cheese with little burn holes if not total meltdown. Add in the food smell issues mentioned above and most folks will give the idea a big
    Yeah, I'm always surprised when I see pictures of people doing it, I spend way too much on my gear to risk that, but I also can't imagine cooking away from shelter in a thunderstorm. Most stormy nights I just eat trail mix.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Boil water for coffee or tea in the morning with alcohol stove only.

We don't have bears or many larger apex preds, but I still like to find a nice place 100 yards or better from my campsite to cook and eat meals, then of course I throw that all away by hanging my food bag, Sargent Rock style, from the end of my hammock suspension.

That way I can fight the coons and mice off, from a comfortable position.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Ahhh, the kind of person who would rather have their equipment smell like insect repellent than roasted marshmallows. Raised by bear country indeed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast