Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First UQ attempt

So I attempted my first underquilt this weekend and I have a question about the suspension. I used a 9$ walmart sleeping bag and cut it down to 48" wide and then sewed grosgrain ribbon all the way around all 4 sides. Then I ran shock cord through my channels, the cord on the top and bottom work beautifully clenching it up but the two bits I had run lengthwise didn't seem to have enough strength to hold the quilt up against the hammock. To get it up tight I actually ended up using the extra from the top and bottom and running it back through the biners. Could I have some inferior shock cord or am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    PLUQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    DutchBeetle/Straps
    Do you have pictures? The two long sides (running along each side of the hammock) are the ones you use for suspension. The two short ones (one under head/shoulders, one under feet/knees depending on uq size) are the ones that snug it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “I'm an adventurer, looking for treasure.” ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Suspect the piece of the sleeping bag is just too heavy for the shock cord. Can you double the cord through the side channels or get some bigger shock cord?

My first attempt at a UQ was similar and I had the same problem. The 46" wide by 72" long quilt weighed ~2 3/4 lbs. I had quite a time working that out and finally ended up with some very strong 1/4" shock cord in the channels. Successful? Yes! It kept me warm down to freezing and would probably go lower. I used it some for car camping. Too big and heavy for anything else.

My current full length down (0 degree) UQ about the same size weighs more like 1 1/2 lbs including the 1/8" shock cord suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Suspect the piece of the sleeping bag is just too heavy for the shock cord. Can you double the cord through the side channels or get some bigger shock cord?

My first attempt at a UQ was similar and I had the same problem. The 46" wide by 72" long quilt weighed ~2 3/4 lbs. I had quite a time working that out and finally ended up with some very strong 1/4" shock cord in the channels. Successful? Yes! It kept me warm down to freezing and would probably go lower. I used it some for car camping. Too big and heavy for anything else.

My current full length down (0 degree) UQ about the same size weighs more like 1 1/2 lbs including the 1/8" shock cord suspension.
    That's what I'm thinking where did you get your 1/4" shock cord from?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Got the 1/4" shock cord from my local West Marine, if I remember right. A local full service hardware, like an Ace or True Value might have it. Not the cheapest sources but at least it is readily available.

Shock cord I have purchased from Harbor Freight has not proven to be as durable.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Got the 1/4" shock cord from my local West Marine, if I remember right. A local full service hardware, like an Ace or True Value might have it. Not the cheapest sources but at least it is readily available.

Shock cord I have purchased from Harbor Freight has not proven to be as durable.
    I checked around this afternoon and didn't see anything may attempt to repurposed some bungee straps.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Consider this to be a learning process. You come to appreciate why high quality quilts from our cottage vendors cost what they do.

I went from converted sleeping bag UQ to a DIY Climashield Apex UQ. Materials and Apex from RSBTR probably $70 for a 3/4 length UQ. Got me by for a year while I saved for a 3 season Yeti UQ and a 30 deg Flight Jacket TQ - both down quilts. Less that 2 lbs for the pair and good to 20 degrees or maybe a little lower.

Paul from Arrowhead Equipment will probably have his brief anniversary sale on his Jarbidge and other quilts in July or August. A 3 season Jarbidge for ~$75 is an excellent buy. Made with Apex 6, should get you to freezing or a little below and is actually pack-ably small. Save a little longer and many vendors will have Black Friday sales over Thanksgiving with similar savings on down gear.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Amazon sells all sizes of shock cord at reasonable prices.

You can also add a secondary suspension to help snug the quilt up.

Sew a grosgrain loop at each of the 4 corners of the quilt, then use a length of shock cord run from one loop, up to your hammock suspension, then down to the other loop. Repeat on the other side. Add a mini carabiner and cord locks to aid in adjustment.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blueridgerunner View Post
    That's what I'm thinking where did you get your 1/4" shock cord from?

I've had good luck with Amazon. There are a number of vendors. Here's one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks guys I'll keep all this in mind, I don't mind buying a good UQ and I do have my eye on the Jarbridge but like I said in my other post I have to buy in pairs plus we are still trying to decide if this camping thing is something we want to continue doing on the regular before we invest tons in UQs and TQs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast