lightweight hammocking

help! i come to you in need of assistance. i'd really like to start hammocking. i'm tired of lying on the wet ground. but i really don't like the hennessy hammock. i tried one and it's too enclosed with the bug net and all and i had too much trouble putting it up. the eno system looks better but altogether it weighs more than 3 lbs. i can't bear to haul around a lot of excess weight. are there any lightweight options? just a hammock that's easy to put up and a cheap light fly that'll keep you dry? this must exist. many thanks for any help you can give me.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a link to a 10 oz inexpensive one without bugnet. I have one and use it in winter. I is very comfortable and packs upsmaller than a loaf of bread. There is also a model with bug net (15 oz) called Sheeter Beater. Of course there are lots of other options. Check out all the DYI threads here.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/cam...iew&key=THI004

As for flys again lots of options all discussed on this site.

Happy hanging

Images
    Micro Mac Cat, and a home made 1.1oz Nylon hammock will put you at about 15oz.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boo radley View Post
    help! i come to you in need of assistance. i'd really like to start hammocking. i'm tired of lying on the wet ground. but i really don't like the hennessy hammock. i tried one and it's too enclosed with the bug net and all and i had too much trouble putting it up. the eno system looks better but altogether it weighs more than 3 lbs. i can't bear to haul around a lot of excess weight. are there any lightweight options? just a hammock that's easy to put up and a cheap light fly that'll keep you dry? this must exist. many thanks for any help you can give me.
    You should take a good look at the manufacturer's section. There are links there to all the major commercial hammock makers. For your 'lightweight' purposes, you should pay particular attention to the Speer and Eno offerings.

You mention the Eno weighing 3 pounds, but the Single Nest goes about 18 ounces by itself, and you could add your own lightweight tarp to that to save weight. One well made commercial option is the MacCat.

Also, if you have any inclination for making your own gear, there is a lot of good info in the Homemade Gear Directions and Discussions section of this site. Additionally, Just Jeff's page is a great resource, especially the 'hammock camping' and 'homemade gear' pages.

Welcome to the forum!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Boo,

I loved you in "To Kill A Mockingbird".
    I always new you were a nice guy
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Welcome to the Forum Boo Radley!
    If you want to go ultralight a diy hammock and tarp would be a good option. But, if you have no time or aptitude for diy there are many manufactures who will answer your need.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Boo.

There have already been some great suggestions on some lightweight hammocks. The DIY route would probably be your best route. A hammock made from 1.1oz ripstop would be pretty light, but you probably wanna go with some heavier fabric (1.9oz) if you are over 225 lbs.

Byers make some pretty light weight hammocks. The Skeeter Beater is pretty popular with a couple of the members here.

Check out the Manufactures article that I wrote up. It contains weights of most commercially available hammocks.

Welcome to the forum.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts