Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    FYI, I'm thinking of buying another roll of IX after the first of the year. I figured up what it cost me to do the first one, and decided that $5 per yard is a good price.

- MacEntyre
    I'm in, this time.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    $5/yd sounds fair to me... I'm in...

Any guesses how many layers of i-tex I'd need for a 30-degree top quilt (1.1 nylon shell.)???

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    $5/yd sounds fair to me... I'm in...

Any guesses how many layers of i-tex I'd need for a 30-degree top quilt (1.1 nylon shell.)???
    I'm in the process of making a TQ with 4 layers in it. I hope to have it done soon. I'll post my results when I get to hang in the backyard possibly this weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I had an opportunity to try out my little Insultex (IX) quilt that I made (described in another thread) in conjunction with my Te-Wa 3 seasons quilt. The goal was to see if using the IX quilt in conjunction with the Te-Wa to get into lower temps.

I went out with AngrySparrow and Hetairoi this past weekend on a short trip on the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. The lows on Friday night were supposed to be in the mid 20s with lots of rain following. So, I setup my BB Traveler hammock, Speer Winter Tarp and the Te-Wa quilt. I attached the IX quilt on top of the Te-Wa. I slept pretty comfortably with that setup although I had an issue with the Te-Wa wanting to constantly slip off my left shoulder and go under the hammock. I had no cold spots all night but noticed that I didn't really have the warm sensation of a down quilt under me. The next night I removed the IX quilt and put it in the hammock under my legs and slept just on the Te-Wa. Almost immediately, I felt the warmth of the down quilt and slept very well the second night I had tightened up the suspension and didn't have any issues with the Te-Wa that night). There wasn't ever any condensation on the IX quilt. I am puzzled why I didn't feel that radiant heat that I get when I use the IX quilt any other time.
    Did you feel the warmth on your legs?
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

No, not really. My legs were never cold. The whole experience was very strange. Normally, when I would be working with IX I would feel lots of heat reflected back to me. Not so much with this item.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Well, my Consew broke, then my Nechhi broke, so that put the Molly Mac Packs on hold... the only thing I could make on my daughter's 50 yr old Singer was an IX Insert UQ for DuctTape. It's not faced at all... just grosgrain binding and a loop at each corner, in a Tyvek stuff sack. Can't wait to hear how it works for him!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Well, my Consew broke, then my Nechhi broke, so that put the Molly Mac Packs on hold... the only thing I could make on my daughter's 50 yr old Singer was an IX Insert UQ for DuctTape. It's not faced at all... just grosgrain binding and a loop at each corner, in a Tyvek stuff sack. Can't wait to hear how it works for him!

- MacEntyre
    I hear ya. My Tacsew Industrial machine is not working up to snuff... needs to be taken to a shop. Luckily I've got a backup machine that's running smoothly.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Well, the Consew is back in action, and I learned how to reset the clutch!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123