Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I hope not. They went fast in Florida as well. Life Scout loaned me his at HangCon 2016 when the Sunday night/Monday morning temp hit 26.7*F. It saved me and was oh so warm over my Summer weight TQ. I would like a few myself.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PrimaloftQuilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm in the opposite end of the spectrum. I have 4 quilts, but have yet to find a pattern for making them. Oddly, it's not on the DIY stickies. I remembered my log in, but now need to search. If anyone can save me digging in old posts for the best pattern, I would appreciate it.

Good luck finding quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by weegie View Post
    I'm in the opposite end of the spectrum. I have 4 quilts, but have yet to find a pattern for making them. Oddly, it's not on the DIY stickies. I remembered my log in, but now need to search. If anyone can save me digging in old posts for the best pattern, I would appreciate it.

To make the UQ is nothing. Just sew grosgrain channels along all 4 sides and run shock chord. Probably add a secondary suspension too and done.

I bought 2 of these last year and combined them both into a single TQ that I have taken to around 5*C (40*f). Gonna see if I can push the rating a bit in the shoulder seasons. I definitely regret not getting a couple more to make into underquilts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images

Here's what I found. For the underquilt, follow DIY Gear Supply's instructions for making an insultex underquilt. Click HERE
    For the topquilt, follow these great instructions by HF member Bser272: Click HERE

Good luck! Post pictures when you're done!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm new to this stuff, so forgive my ignorance, but what makes this particular throw so sought after for an under quilt? I'm in need of a cheap under quilt and have looked at this option many times, but thought I would check the local Goodwill stores first.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    I'm new to this stuff, so forgive my ignorance, but what makes this particular throw so sought after for an under quilt? I'm in need of a cheap under quilt and have looked at this option many times, but thought I would check the local Goodwill stores first.
    Primarily cost...they were $20.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    These are decent inexpensive throws. I was able to buy 2 from a forum member last year. Mine have item#418251.
    I use one for my tq in warmer weather and the hound gets the other one for the couch. She prefers it over fleece.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    It's $20; 'nuff said. Personally, I think products like these develop a momentum of their own, disproportionate to their actual value. You can find a bazillion threads about the Sportsman's Guide 12 x 12 tarp for $20, but I bought two of them and they are useless as weather protection. You don't hear much about them anymore. Lately, people have gone crazy over the $20 Yukon Outfitter Walkabout Rainfly. I've seen them in person and they're great as a sun shade, or in a moderate drizzle, but that's about it.

The Costco quilt will probably always have an enthusiastic following, because it's $20 and you can make an UQ out of it good down to 50* F (which is not much insulation, in my estimation). It's a good starter quilt and DIY project, but that's about it.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-02-2016 at 18:12.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm in the opposite end of the spectrum. I have 4 quilts, but have yet to find a pattern for making them. Oddly, it's not on the DIY stickies.
    A member posted these instructions. Sorry, I didn't bookmark the thread, just the link to the instructions. These were the cleverest plans I have seen so far:

http://imgur.com/gallery/kOXYm

http://imgur.com/gallery/ABzWn

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Costco quilt will probably always have an enthusiastic following, because it's $20 and you can make an UQ out of it good down to 50* F (which is not much insulation, in my estimation). It's a good starter quilt and DIY project, but that's about it.
    I think that for warm weather hammock campers, a $40 quilt set is a great value. Personally I wouldn't go down to 50 with them. But high 50's on up, these are a great value and wet the appetite for what you would consider a "real" quilt set.

Hang your own hang and don't worry about anyone else's opinion... You know what they say about everyone "having one"...opinion that is...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast