Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I'm 275 and 2.4 hexon. Single layer no problem so far. I've also had my girlfriend in it also so about 400 lbs total no issue.........wait a minute my girlfriend is not 400 lbs. lol I meant the both of us.

Hammock
    HH /DIY
    Tarp
    Dunno
    Insulation
    Quilts?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lol, sorry to laugh at your story but it looked like mine only it was a Hennessy Hammock and the ridge line. I don't want to put the blame on HH and I'm sure the hangers would like a laugh. I hung my hammock the night before my wedding and after Bachelor party I tried to go to sleep only to find myself sitting on the ground. It wasn't a hard sit but I wasn't willing to let it go so I adjusted the suspension and started to feel like a burrito (shoulder squeeze to mild of a description) I was dumb and thought tighter was the key and keep going till I popped the line. So I ended up on my parents couch. Lesson learned. I was mad and left the hammock in rents back yard till after the honeymoon and there was a wind storm that knocked down a black locust tree that had an 8 inch diameter was laying on the hammock. As a testament to HH i had replaced the suspension to Whoppies I made and it was holding the tree the fabric fully intact and once the bury was loosened I was able to rescue hammock and tarp. Lesson two Amsteel blue and whoopies will hold everything. All that being the same i'll share the research I found.
    check this: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks-101/
    Then this: http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/hammock-guide/
    And this: http://www.dream-hammock.com/Choosing_Fabric.html
    And this: http://www.ticketothemoon.com/config...lor2=2&size=28
    And most importantly: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ng-Suspension)

That should get you hanging

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastmatt View Post
    I'm 275 and 2.4 hexon. Single layer no problem so far. I've also had my girlfriend in it also so about 400 lbs total no issue.........wait a minute my girlfriend is not 400 lbs. lol I meant the both of us.
    Does she have a sister? Wait, you teased us, she's not a biggun

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    6'2" 375 here, there are many types of fabrics and designs now that hold us bigger folk. It's one of the things I love about this is that there are some options for us.. I now use a double layer 1.6 hyper d xl. It's from simply light designs and it's called the trail lair. Like others have said plenty of options. I have found tho in the suspension arena that alot of the Dutchware bling for hammock suspension, while small and works, tends to have a quick wear and tear on the amsteel / straps etc... with my weight on them. Again my experience only. I prefer cinch buckles or whoopies and both hold me fine.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a close friend who is at ~325 and he's in a double-layer Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. No issues at all, the hammock and suspension hold him just fine.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    Definitely call Dutch. Hexon 1.6 is 350 rated. 2.4 is 400# rated. Double either one up and hold a house. Super quality and very affordable.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    [QUOTE=hammer0419;1642780]Definitely call Dutch. Hexon 1.6 is 350 rated. 2.4 is 400# rated. Double either one up and hold a house. Super quality and very affordable.[/QUOT
    +1 to that. I would also second the suggestion to order the 72" wide hexon. I'm about your size and just made myself a 12' X 6' double layer Hexon 1.6. Beats the heck out of a double layer tablecloth hammock. Much lighter and so much more comfortable. Get yourself some cinch buckles while you are at it.
    Last edited by DrPappy; 06-20-2016 at 11:59.

Wow, guys what an overwhelming response. I am glad to see that there are options out there, you all have also set my mind more at ease that I wont be spending money and ripping it out of the gate.

I am wondering something. While I realize, empty pockets nothing sharp in the hammock etc, what about zippers on the sleeping bag do they cause as issue?

Lot to research and check out and calling dutch is apparently on my to do list Thanks everyone.

Ross

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossr View Post
    Wow, guys what an overwhelming response. I am glad to see that there are options out there, you all have also set my mind more at ease that I wont be spending money and ripping it out of the gate.

I am wondering something. While I realize, empty pockets nothing sharp in the hammock etc, what about zippers on the sleeping bag do they cause as issue?

Lot to research and check out and calling dutch is apparently on my to do list Thanks everyone.

Ross
    Zippers are the reason most of us use top quilts. No zipper means less weight and less things to scratch the inside of the hammock. Plus it's really hard to zip yourself up once you're inside.

I see quilts vs seepin bag....its like a whole new wonderful world Lol.

I am also trying to understand slings wraps etc. When I made the tablecloth ones I actually had purchased the following two tree straps. Are these workable or should I be looking elsewhere. I got these because of the weight rating. The Mallo me one I got second and I like the idea of the multiple loops to adjust. I also got those because they had the carabineers with them. With the table cloths and the bunched ends I have a rope loop and just hooked the carabineers to them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for all the help folks

Ross
    Last edited by Rossr; 06-21-2016 at 21:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast