Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Whoppies, Beetles

Question Painful ribs on first hammock trip

Well, end of my third night in the hammock. Warmth was no problem, even with high winds and rain. Problem is, that no matter how I laid, I had incredible pain in my ribs on my left side. I had others lay in my hammock and they thought I had it hung well but I could not get rid of the pain. On the last night as morning was approaching, I slid my feet the whole way to the bottom on the hammock with my shoulders closer to the widest part and got relief there. Must work on this to see if I can figure out the problem.

Hammock
    WBRR or Sparrow
    Tarp
    Depends on the day
    Insulation
    UGQ and Loco libre
    Suspension
    Buckles & Whoopies
    You had your feet in the footbox?
    Almost sounds like you had a ridge popping up and hitting you in the ribs. Never experienced that in my xlc if it was hung right and I was laying correctly. I did find I liked a bit more slack hanging in the xlc.

I took the WBRR out and for the last week never slept so well. Gonna be hard to go back to a gathered end hammock... lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bog01 View Post
    YI took the WBRR out and for the last week never slept so well. Gonna be hard to go back to a gathered end hammock... lol
    It's amazing to me how many issues these flat laying hammocks solve.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty 11', 1.6 SL Hexon
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Could it be the tightness of the fabric WB uses in their hammocks? I don't know much about them, but I have read that the Hexon D that I have in my hammock has a different feel than the WB fabric, more stretchiness perhaps. Just wondering aloud if the weave can make that big a difference in the comfort for some people?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Whoppies, Beetles
    [QUOTE=bog01;1643110]You had your feet in the footbox?
    Almost sounds like you had a ridge popping up and hitting you in the ribs. Never experienced that in my xlc if it was hung right and I was laying correctly. I did find I liked a bit more slack hanging in the xlc.

My feet were a n the foot box and I kept checking to see if there was a ridge, felt flat, from time to time first two nights it felt as though I might have been sliding toward the foot end, so I got out and raised the foot and lowered the head but to no avail.

Hammock
    WBRR or Sparrow
    Tarp
    Depends on the day
    Insulation
    UGQ and Loco libre
    Suspension
    Buckles & Whoopies
    [QUOTE=Gunny85;1643272]

My feet were a n the foot box and I kept checking to see if there was a ridge, felt flat, from time to time first two nights it felt as though I might have been sliding toward the foot end, so I got out and raised the foot and lowered the head but to no avail.
    Sounds like you'd love a ridge runner too - lol

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    [QUOTE=Gunny85;1643272]

Maybe go to the Warbonnet site and watch the set-up videos again. I have never had that problem with my XLC. Sounds like the set up wasn't correct if you were sliding toward the footbox.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    It's amazing to me how many issues these flat laying hammocks solve.
    Amen...

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny85 View Post
    Well, end of my third night in the hammock. Warmth was no problem, even with high winds and rain. Problem is, that no matter how I laid, I had incredible pain in my ribs on my left side. I had others lay in my hammock and they thought I had it hung well but I could not get rid of the pain. On the last night as morning was approaching, I slid my feet the whole way to the bottom on the hammock with my shoulders closer to the widest part and got relief there. Must work on this to see if I can figure out the problem.
    I've had some good nights and I have had a few bad nights. The thing i keep going back to is how everyone says to lower the head end up to a foot lower than the foot end. It seems unnatural to do and no matter how good my intentions are, I seem to always miss the mark. My thing was knee pain. But thinking about it afterwards, I've wondered if it was mostly just trying to get used to something new or maybe i injured it hiking to the campsite.
    Try getting that head end real low and see if that helps. I have a friend who sleeps with the head end about a foot higher...and he has NO problems beside stubbornness to try it any other way.
    What's my point? This is your first time hammocking. You will have to experiment and try to do the opposite of what you did that was uncomfortable.
    Good luck.
    If all else fails...get a bridge hammock and enjoy the comfort of a flat lay.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiedUp View Post
    .If all else fails...get a bridge hammock and enjoy the comfort of a flat lay.
    I haven't tried a RR yet even though I have had opportunities to try it. I'm just afraid I might like it and find it more comfortable than my XLC.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast