Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where do you hang?

I have been backcountry camping basically my entire life (41 years old) in the Sierras and southern cascades of Northern California. Until I did my first backcountry hang a few weeks ago, I have not seen another hammock in the backcountry. Of course, one of my goals is to get away from folks, but still. Not sure if hammocks are an East Coast and South thing (much like tree stands for hunting) or ???

So, where do you normally hang? Do you see hammocks in the backcountry often?

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Hammocks are all over the country and world. Been hanging in the SE for nearly 10 years. Now I hang mostly in Yosemite NP and the eastern Sierra! From this weekend in the southern end of Yose.

image.jpg
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There's some adjustment to hiking in the West/Southwest. My son went camping near Breckenridge, Colorado, this weekend - he slept in a tent and was miserable. I asked him why he didn't use a hammock, and he said, "no trees."

Then he added that there were trees 100 yards away. Huh? He slept on the ground when there were trees 100 yards away? It sounds like he has a lot to learn about camping in Colorado!

I've been hammock camping in the Northeast for six years and have never gone to ground. However, there are former ground pounders who really worry about having to "go to ground" and carry a kit that can be used for ground or hammock camping (usually with a weight penalty).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey von View Post
    I have been backcountry camping basically my entire life (41 years old) in the Sierras and southern cascades of Northern California. Until I did my first backcountry hang a few weeks ago, I have not seen another hammock in the backcountry. Of course, one of my goals is to get away from folks, but still. Not sure if hammocks are an East Coast and South thing (much like tree stands for hunting) or ???

So, where do you normally hang? Do you see hammocks in the backcountry often?
    In south Louisiana, the majority of people consider RVing the only way to camp. The remaining minority are a mix of car campers, kayakers, and a few brave souls who are determined lightweighters. Car campers typically go the tent/cot/air bed route. Kayaking has become a huge fad, as Kayaks make navigating the bayous easy. Kayakers generally use tents and pads, but more and more they are packing hammocks because trees are often more plentiful than dry land in the swamp. (I think Dereck Hansen actually hung in one of our local lakes, Lake Martin). Lightweighters are an even mix of tents and hammocks.

I do see hammocks everywhere now, but they are used more often for lounging than camping.

I tend to hang in the backcountry, and I try to get out to where I don't see anyone. I usually travel with a couple of buddies, fellow hangers, so everyone I see out there uses hammocks.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    I would say tents still reign here in the Heart of Dixie. And RVs.

Mind you though, I'm generally in a horse camp or backcountry. Most horse people have living quarters in their trailers. Me, I hang in my trailer, in the backcountry, and in relatives yards when the guest rooms are full. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i've been using a hammock as a camping option since about 1981. i've been essentially nothing but hammocks since the mid 90's, probably. there's some exceptions, but when i solo or don't have a real need for a tent, it's been solid hammocks for 20 years.

i see more than i did 10 years ago.

in the 90's i got turned back onto hammocks when doing triathlons. it was sort of a "thing" with some of those folks. that exposure got me back into the hammock groove i had in the 80's, only moreso.

i'm jealous of the countryside you get to frequent. i absolutely love the state of california. i have some nice spots here in arkansas and i make some roadtrips. but cali; man - you got it all, right there........

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    On the way up to Spanish Lakes through the access on Ted Turner's buffalo ranch.

In Idaho at Hanson Lake with the Arrowhead annual hang.

Otherwise, have not seen any hammockers in the wild. Only in campgrounds.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY'S
    Tarp
    Z packs Cuben, DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    In the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) and on the Superior Hiking Trail. Both in Minnesota.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Wherever I'm camping, mostly Southern WI on the Ice Age Trail. I got into hammocks to get out of the equipment race (yeah, that really worked) and away from the crowds. The farther I can get from campers and RV's the better.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I live near Garberville up in northern California. I do most of my backpacking out on the lost coast trail between shelter cove and usual beach. I have never seen another hammock camper out here.

Heading out thru after work for a three night solo, can't wait its been over a month sense my last trip.
    Last edited by Carrico; 06-20-2016 at 22:52.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast