Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB

Another tension thread

Sew, I got this spiffy new (to me) Kenmore 158.15160. It is a cam machine. Very good shape with all of the original attachments in the original containers. It runs great and makes really nice stitches. I am just having trouble with tension adjustment. I am sewing some Hexon 1.6 and 2.4 that I picked up from Dutch. I am using mara 70 tex 40 Gutterman with microtex 80 needles. The stitching is tight but I cant seem to get the loops centered in the fabric. I can pull them to the top with a tighter top tension adjustment and I can pull them to the bottom with a looser top tension adjustment. I cant seem to get it perfect. Even if it a get a test patch that looks good. It is liable to change mid stitch like on the long side of a hammock hem. Any ideas or am I asking too much from an older machine?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HangFan View Post
    Sew, I got this spiffy new (to me) Kenmore 158.15160. It is a cam machine. Very good shape with all of the original attachments in the original containers. It runs great and makes really nice stitches. I am just having trouble with tension adjustment. I am sewing some Hexon 1.6 and 2.4 that I picked up from Dutch. I am using mara 70 tex 40 Gutterman with microtex 80 needles. The stitching is tight but I cant seem to get the loops centered in the fabric. I can pull them to the top with a tighter top tension adjustment and I can pull them to the bottom with a looser top tension adjustment. I cant seem to get it perfect. Even if it a get a test patch that looks good. It is liable to change mid stitch like on the long side of a hammock hem. Any ideas or am I asking too much from an older machine?

Thanks!

Light fabrics are tough to get the tension right. Have you tried making both top and bobbin thread tensions heavier? Light tension is more susceptible to variations in unwinding the thread from the bobbin or spool

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I have a Kenmore 158.1690 and have fought similar issues with tension with it. Great machine and very powerful / robust but I think that results in a compromise on how it handles the delicate fabrics we deal with. I don't think you are asking too much but on the same note I don't think absolute perfect tension affect the end result all that much. I understand though because after struggling with this on a couple of projects I found a Necchi Supernova on CL and it's tension is a dream comparatively.

Interesting concept on upping both tensions to decrease the sensitivity. I'm sure that will prove controversial here but would be interesting to try.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
    Light fabrics are tough to get the tension right. Have you tried making both top and bobbin thread tensions heavier? Light tension is more susceptible to variations in unwinding the thread from the bobbin or spool
    I did have to lighten the bobbin tension when I first started using it. Maybe cause of the tex 40 but it was set REALLY tight and I was having some real trouble before I loosened it. I may try going up on the bobbin tension a bit to see if I can get it more consistent. Cant hurt, Thanks for the suggestion.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    Quote Originally Posted by TPole View Post
    I have a Kenmore 158.1690 and have fought similar issues with tension with it. Great machine and very powerful / robust but I think that results in a compromise on how it handles the delicate fabrics we deal with. I don't think you are asking too much but on the same note I don't think absolute perfect tension affect the end result all that much. I understand though because after struggling with this on a couple of projects I found a Necchi Supernova on CL and it's tension is a dream comparatively.

Interesting concept on upping both tensions to decrease the sensitivity. I'm sure that will prove controversial here but would be interesting to try.
    I was wondering if the older machines may have trouble with the lightness of the fabric. I did some 2.4 last night and got nice results. I changed the needle to a 90, reduced presser foot pressure some. Seemed to work consistently good. Not sure how it will act when I go back to 1.6.....
    Thanks for sharing your experience!

Images
    I was just having issues in the thread feeding fabric.
    I don't know how to link it.
    What seemed to help me some is loosen the tension on both set the bobbin the tension so the holder/bobbin just are held up by the set tension while holding the thread. Then start increasing top tension until you get a pretty straight stich. Then back to the bottom tension until the bottom stich comes in line with the top.
    I was working with 0.9 Xenon but set the starting tension with 1.6 Hexon. It got me close.
    Also, if the fabric is puckering on you, lighten the presser foot tension a little at a time.
    I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in and help you out.
    Oh, mine is a Kenmore model 1750 (158-17500).
    Good luck, keep us posted.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    I was just having issues in the thread feeding fabric.
    I don't know how to link it.
    What seemed to help me some is loosen the tension on both set the bobbin the tension so the holder/bobbin just are held up by the set tension while holding the thread. Then start increasing top tension until you get a pretty straight stich. Then back to the bottom tension until the bottom stich comes in line with the top.
    I was working with 0.9 Xenon but set the starting tension with 1.6 Hexon. It got me close.
    Also, if the fabric is puckering on you, lighten the presser foot tension a little at a time.
    I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in and help you out.
    Oh, mine is a Kenmore model 1750 (158-17500).
    Good luck, keep us posted.
    If you can get close with .9 Xenon than 1.6 should be much easier. I will keep tinkering at it til I find the correct balance.

When you say, "Then back to the bottom tension until the bottom stitch comes in line". Does that mean you tightened the bobbin tension or loosened it?

Thanks!

Images
    When you say, "Then back to the bottom tension until the bottom stitch comes in line". Does that mean you tightened the bobbin tension or loosened it?
    If you do the initial setup of the bobbin so while holding the tread and maybe just a little bounce of the bobbin and the thread come out a little. Then yes, when I went back to the bottom tension I tightened it up a little at a time.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    If you do the initial setup of the bobbin so while holding the tread and maybe just a little bounce of the bobbin and the thread come out a little. Then yes, when I went back to the bottom tension I tightened it up a little at a time.
    Excellent. THanks!

Images
    Excellent. THanks!
    Not a problem, I hope you sort it out in a timely manner. I think I spent a few days messing around with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast