Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Pacific Northwest Hammocking

Does anybody here have any experience with backpacing and hammocking in either the North Cascades area or Olympic National Park of Washington State? We are considering changing our annual trip from Wyoming to one of these, due to the continuing drought in Wyoming. Plus, just to do something different. We will be going the first week of September.

Obviously, unless we get up too high, there will be millions of trees. But I am wondering about the huge diameter of many of these trees, and if there wil be difficulty finding trees small enough for the HH tree huggers. I can get a larger size, but some of the trees I have seen pictures of will be too large even for the larger huggers.

I have made a trip here before, 20 years ago, tenting in the woods for a few days, at the edge of Coleman Glacier, followed by an ascent of Mt. Baker. But I did not appraise the area from a hammockers perspective. Plus, it's been a long time. Above 5000 feet, there would be no hammocking, nothing but treeless snow and ice! This was only three miles in thru the woods to base camp. After that, all snow (June).

Is there anybody here who has done a trip in either of these places? If so, how is it for hammocking? I wonder if hammocking is allowed in the National Parks? Although, it will be easy enough to just go to one of the many wilderness areas. I've heard the mosquitos and black flies can be pretty bad. but I'm hoping they will ease off by September.

Anybody have any experience with this area? Any advice or words of wisdom, especialy from the hammock perspective? I guess I should talk to someone at Hennessy. Since they are very close to this area.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Even though the trees may be too big, if you can thread the rope through the huggers you can still use that setup. You will need to find a stick and lay it against the tree where you tie your knot. Tie your knot over the stick so you can pass the rope through the gap between the tree and rope.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Never been to the Olympic National Forest, but lived on the other side of the state for many years. Just remember that the Olympic Peninsula is one of the rainiest spots on earth, exceeded only by the Amazon Basin (or maybe the other way around ). When I lived there, I talked to people who hiked and camped there and heard many reports of people walking out with soaked equipment that they thought was adequate or more than adequate.

Images
    Thanks, folks. It looks like there is nobody here with hammocking experience in these locales. Hey, Jeff, what about you? I'm thinking Ed Speer might? I think there was something in his book about kayaking the NorthWest.

I just hope I can find enough trees(2 trees close enough together) that are not 6 feet or more in diameter. What would that require, about 18 feet per side just to go around the tree once, plus the distance from the tree to hammock?

I have read several guide books, but of course they are not by hammock hangers. So the subject is of course not mentioned, except to frequently point out the abundance of GIGANTIC trees at the lower altitudes.

And the rain could be a major factor, though I will be going at the driest time of year. But on the windward side of the Olypics, the rain is stated as between 140 and 200 inches per year! Now, that is one bunch of rain. I will be going (almost, at least) totally synthetic.

I'm still awaiting my Cocoon gear from BPL for evaluation. A hooded polargard endurance jacket plus PG pants and quilt, all meant to be usede as a sleeping system. But I don't think real cold (such as I experience in Wyoming at this time of year) will be a problem, even at timberline. But it will be cold enough to be a real problem if combined with torrential rain!

But my main concerns are usable trees lower down(enough that arre not too large and/or far apart), then usable trees higher up as we get near timberline and the glaciers. And whether hammocking will be allowed in the National Parks if I choose those rather than the Wilderness areas outside the parks. And adequate skills on my part to keep dry in torrential rain with a tarp. I have had some experience keeping dry in a ground tarp in days of steady rain, but not in the amount of rain I might get in the Olympics or even the North Cascades. It should be an adventure, anyway!
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    billybob... if you post that question on the "hammockcamping"yahoo group, i'm sure ed will give you a response. but you may have to give him a day or two if he's still out uncovering emeralds on his real job<g>.
    BTW...i ordered the BPL pro balaclava. hopefully it will be here late june-early july. it should be a perfect addition to my clothing/sleep system for next cool season. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    billybob... if you post that question on the "hammockcamping"yahoo group, i'm sure ed will give you a response. but you may have to give him a day or two if he's still out uncovering emeralds on his real job<g>.
    BTW...i ordered the BPL pro balaclava. hopefully it will be here late june-early july. it should be a perfect addition to my clothing/sleep system for next cool season. ...tim
    Seriously, Tim...I don't think you have enough insulated gear. I think I'll send you a couple hundred yards of Polarguard for Christmas...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Seriously, Tim...I don't think you have enough insulated gear. I think I'll send you a couple hundred yards of Polarguard for Christmas...
    ALL RIGHT!!!! next insulated hammock/quilt/pants,etc,etc, here i come!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow &amp; Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Seriously, Tim...I don't think you have enough insulated gear.
    Tim needs more insulated gear like I need a hole in the head. I'm waiting for the guy to come up with homemade trekking pole grip warmers next.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Tim needs more insulated gear like I need a hole in the head.
    Which is interesting, really, b/c I'm pretty fond of my ears, eyes, mouth and nose...all of which are holes in my head that I need. Bring on the insulated gear!

I haven't hammocked in Washington, but there are some really big trees in California. I took several trips in Big Sur and a few other places. I never had too much of a problem finding places to hang...there were a few places where I'm glad I had longer huggers or webbing, but finding a place wasn't a problem.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    QUOTE=BillyBob58;19133]... And whether hammocking will be allowed in the National Parks if I choose those rather than the Wilderness areas outside the parks.
    [/QUOTE]
    I cant speak for the west coast, but Ive had no problems hanging in SNP.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast