Does anybody here have any experience with backpacing and hammocking in either the North Cascades area or Olympic National Park of Washington State? We are considering changing our annual trip from Wyoming to one of these, due to the continuing drought in Wyoming. Plus, just to do something different. We will be going the first week of September.

Obviously, unless we get up too high, there will be millions of trees. But I am wondering about the huge diameter of many of these trees, and if there wil be difficulty finding trees small enough for the HH tree huggers. I can get a larger size, but some of the trees I have seen pictures of will be too large even for the larger huggers.

I have made a trip here before, 20 years ago, tenting in the woods for a few days, at the edge of Coleman Glacier, followed by an ascent of Mt. Baker. But I did not appraise the area from a hammockers perspective. Plus, it's been a long time. Above 5000 feet, there would be no hammocking, nothing but treeless snow and ice! This was only three miles in thru the woods to base camp. After that, all snow (June).

Is there anybody here who has done a trip in either of these places? If so, how is it for hammocking? I wonder if hammocking is allowed in the National Parks? Although, it will be easy enough to just go to one of the many wilderness areas. I've heard the mosquitos and black flies can be pretty bad. but I'm hoping they will ease off by September.

Anybody have any experience with this area? Any advice or words of wisdom, especialy from the hammock perspective? I guess I should talk to someone at Hennessy. Since they are very close to this area.