Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarp advice

Tarp advice

I'm thinking of making accessories for my newly made hammock to complete my sleep system. Buy there are several types of tarp I can build. Rectangular, hex, square, and with or without cat cuts.
    For the simplicity I was thinking rectangular or square made in a way that I could use it for ground camping if ever I was in a pinch.
    The hex with cat cuts is more visually appealing to me personally. But requires more skill to make and I'm not sure about curved roll hems at this point.
    So I'm looking for advice from regular hammock users, what would you do and why?

Thanks!
    T

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Bone View Post
    I'm thinking of making accessories for my newly made hammock to complete my sleep system. Buy there are several types of tarp I can build. Rectangular, hex, square, and with or without cat cuts.
    For the simplicity I was thinking rectangular or square made in a way that I could use it for ground camping if ever I was in a pinch.
    The hex with cat cuts is more visually appealing to me personally. But requires more skill to make and I'm not sure about curved roll hems at this point.
    So I'm looking for advice from regular hammock users, what would you do and why?
    Here is a video I made on making a hex tarp. If you use the new Sil Polyester fabrics (I used Dutch's Xenon) you don't need to make much of a cat cut (if at all, but I like the looks of it like you). Since the curve is reduced due to the reduced stretch it was much easier that the cat cuts on the older Sil Nylon (generally 1" of curve per foot).

"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

I actually already watched your video thank you so much for making it. I've been scouring the Internet for weeks. Lol.
    Thank you for telling me about the fabric that is knowledge I would not have had otherwise.

Images
    I just finished my first tarp out of Xenon .9 fabric, a MYG winter tarp kit, I didn't put any cat cuts in it just cuz I wasn't sure how to get it all right (the amount of fabric is intimidating when sitting in front of you) and I read a few places that the Xenon fabric really doesn't need them due to the little to no stretch. I've had it pitched in the back yard the last few days and we have had tons of rain and wind and it looks like I just put it up.

I say give-er-ago. Tons of help here whenever you need it.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I just finished a xenon sil tarp as well. I didn't do cat cuts either. I went with a rectangle for simplicity (12' x 10'). It pitches really taught so I haven't regretted skipping the cat cuts. In my opinion cat cuts are more cosmetic for non stretchy fabrics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I have made tarps out of PU coated nylon and a couple out of 1.1 silpoly. The cat cuts aren't that hard to hem so long as you work really slowly and pin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Another vote for plain old 10x12 rectangle.

Tarp advice

I like rectangle too... just have such an array of pitch options with them...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I really like the look of a winter tarp with doors and shallow cat cuts but they are more work if you are in a hurry.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Anybody got pictures they are willing to share?
    And if someone can point me in the direction of videos or how- to's on placing tie out points mid tarp that would new much appreciated as well.
    This forum has been incredibly helpful and informative. So has YouTube but to be fair you all are mostly responsible for those contributions as well.
    Thanks!
    So I'm thinking square 10X12 this time and if I get bored/brave a hex. When I gain more sewing confidence that is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast