WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

The perfect (for me) setup & suspension.

I normally (in my pre-whoopie days) used 2" straps + biners + stock suspension + 2 EMC rings for drip control and as a handy spot to attach my UQs.

I have now swapped out everything to a MUCH lighter setup. (I don't have a scale, but I can feel the difference.)

1" straps (cammo) long. attached to Dutch Clips.
    EMC ring larks-headed into hammock-end loop in strap.
    Whoopie slings Larks-headed into EMC ring.
    (Whoopie slings have replaced stock ropes)

The whole thing sets up very quickly, and I cannot get over how quick & easy adjustments are. And how light the entire setup is now. (it even packs down smaller, which is a benefit I did not expect to see.)

A few questions;
    1) Will there ever be a 2" version of the Dutch clip? I prefer the 2" straps for safety to the tree and safety to me. =)
    2) How safe/strong can I expect the stitching on these straps? (or How strong are the 1" straps?)
    3) Is there any special way of adding stitching to the straps to 'lock-in' the Dutch Clips or can I just throw enough thread at the thing till it looks secure?

*I like using the rings for gear-bag attachment, I also like the peace of mind that I get over using a dowel.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    1) Will there ever be a 2" version of the Dutch clip? I prefer the 2" straps for safety to the tree and safety to me. =)
    Can't answer that one. Not sure there's enough demand to cover the setup costs, but it would be a nice addition.

2) How safe/strong can I expect the stitching on these straps? (or How strong are the 1" straps?)
    A while back Backpacking Light published the article Reinforcement Stitches for Lightweight Fabrics (you have to be a member to read it). They tested several stitches and determined that the X-Box stitch was the best in this application. Personally I sew two X-Boxes in series and haven't had a problem yet.

3) Is there any special way of adding stitching to the straps to 'lock-in' the Dutch Clips or can I just throw enough thread at the thing till it looks secure?
    Are you referring to the stitch that just keeps the Dutch Clip from falling out of the strap when stored? If so, then a simple straight stitch sewn as close to the Clip as possible will suffice. There's no stress at all placed on this stitch.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Rug - Have you considered just larks heading (is that really a verb?) whoopie directly to the hammock to save a few more grams?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Rug - Have you considered just larks heading (is that really a verb?) whoopie directly to the hammock to save a few more grams?
    The dead-end of my whoopie is larks-headed to the hammock. It's the variable end that I have looping up and through the ring to create another LH. It's the same as using a dowel in the end loop of a hugger, except I have a ring there. I'll take a pic or two, and upload them later.

The gram or two difference between an EMC ring and a dowel does not bother me at all. As a bonus I get (a) an easy spot to attach my gear bags, and (b) peace of mind that the ring will NOT fail.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The dead-end of my whoopie is larks-headed to the hammock. It's the variable end that I have looping up and through the ring to create another LH. It's the same as using a dowel in the end loop of a hugger, except I have a ring there. I'll take a pic or two, and upload them later.

The gram or two difference between an EMC ring and a dowel does not bother me at all. As a bonus I get (a) an easy spot to attach my gear bags, and (b) peace of mind that the ring will NOT fail.
    OK, if I got this right then that ring is connected to the tree hugger, and the variable end of the whoopie sling is through that ring also. In the above, "create another LH" suggests that the whoopie sling is lark's headed onto the ring. But I bet the WS variable loop just passes through the ring, because if it were actually hitched to the ring via LH the adjustment would be unnecessarily complicated. If it just passes through the ring then there's no binding as you adjust the variable end of the sling. Must be what you're doing.

btw even if my suspension doesn't have SMC rings on it, I usually carry a couple, just because they are so light for their strength, and so useful.

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Pictures!

Ok the first image is your standard larkshead. This allows for no adjustment of the hammock.

The second and third image show the same larkshead, just wrapped around the back on the webbing. This does 2 things, 1. You can adjust the length of the whoopie at will, and 2. _If you want_ you can lock it down tight and form a true larkshead without changing the hammock adjustment. You just need to pull the back of the rope over the knuckle of the webbing.

Its secure, it can't slip off, it can't break.

Sorry about the poor quality images. Camera phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I ride a recumbent.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

ah..

ah...you aren't doing what I thought you were doing, but aren't doing what I was sure you weren't doing either.

So you make the hugger with the ring, then bring the variable loop through the ring and over the entire tree hugger. Do that once, to make the ring act like the toggle. Thereafter you attach/disattach the tree hugger using Dutch clips, and adjust the length with the whoopie sling.

I like it.

Grizz

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Sweet.....
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    This might be my favorite implementation of whoopie slings yet. I've been kind of shying away from them, knowing I was going to have to do some fiddling to figure out a configuration I like (not a fan of toggles). You might have just found that configuration for me

Thanks for posting - I like this idea a lot. Guess I'd better order some amsteel....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Consider Opie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    This might be my favorite implementation of whoopie slings yet. I've been kind of shying away from them, knowing I was going to have to do some fiddling to figure out a configuration I like (not a fan of toggles). You might have just found that configuration for me

Thanks for posting - I like this idea a lot. Guess I'd better order some amsteel....
    I had Opie make my slings, and his workmanship was top notch. I would and will be, buying from him again.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.

Rug.

Hang On!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast