Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images

Porous Sportsman's Guide Tarps

What's up with these tarps? I got one a couple years ago after more recommendations here than I can remember. I used it a few times, but passed it along to a friend when I decided to make my own.

We've since camped a bunch in the rain and he always gets soaked. He was talking about condensation a bunch, but we just realized the tarp is totally porous. I chalked it up to a dud and told him a million people here loved them.

But we just went on a river trip with another friend who's got one and he got soaked, too. Both of these tarps showed the same behavior after not more than a few nights out. It's definitely leaking and it's not the ridge-line. It's the material itself. Neither tarp was washed or exposed to anything weird. Neither one exhibits anything out of the ordinary. No visible holes, no flaking of the coating.

For this last trip, I made my first friend a sil-nylon tarp. He was amazed that you can actually stay dry camping in the rain and threw his SG out as soon as he got home. My other friend is going to do the same.

So, what's the deal? I've read so many people here liking them that I have a hard time believing they're just worthless, but it seems like shorter odds than us going two-for-two on duds.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    My GG tarp started weeping after about two years of use, along the ridgeline mostly. I just reapplied the coating, using camp dry, and it is still going strong.

This past weekend I had to re-coat my DIY tarp as well, weekend before last it was leaking pretty good. It is 1.1 oz coated rip stop and has lasted several years before needing maintenance.

Maybe they aren't coating them as well as they used to, you can proly sell 'em here to recoup some funds.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'll be interested to see if others have this problem, as I've had one for about three years now with no problems, other than the ever-present condensation issues here in the Southeast.

Rain Man

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    There are two different tarps that are offered from Gear Guide. I had both of these tarps for a while and used both. On the last Sipsey Hang I used the one that is not being offered for sale at this time. The one they are selling, it is pictured pitched in a diamaond format and white in color, is this one (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=254694) and it is of a different material than the one that leaks. I sold the one listed above to Hikingshoes after the last Sipsey Hang and will have to order another one once funds are available. I will do this for my daughters next tarp since it will have to have the some mods done to it to make it "hang on the square". I have decided to keep the one that leaks as a sunshade/family/cooking area tarp when I know I will be camping in good weather. I know this is not clear and I hope it helps!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You Threw it Out! Well go back out and get it and sell it for 20 bucks. You wouldn't thrown $20.00 bucks in the garbage would you? This is a very popular item in the HF tarp world. The Camo would go for prob double that...
    Most any fabric can be waterproofed with enough effort. The question is at what weight cost...
    WW (Wally World) spray-on or maybe Stormcrow could chime in on his secret recipe for "Thinning down" Silicon sealant and "Painting it on" Very cheap method.
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Both were the old camo ones. I understand they're very popular; that's the part I'm confused about. The size is good and no one loves camo more than me, but they don't seem to actually work.

I didn't throw it out. It was my friend's tarp and he tossed it. My other friend still has his with no intention of using it. If anyone wants it, I'll pass the message along with the understanding that the material itself is not at all waterproof.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It's my understanding that the SG tarps are poly-u coated, not silicone.

If this is correct, it raises the question: Can silicone sealants be used on them?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    If anyone wants it, I'll pass the message along with the understanding that the material itself is not at all waterproof.
    I'll take yours and your friend's! PM sent!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo
    Can silicone sealants be used on them?
    Not if they are PU coated.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    It's my understanding that the SG tarps are poly-u coated, not silicone.

If this is correct, it raises the question: Can silicone sealants be used on them?
    I wonder if the non-coated side could be sprayed with the silicone? I do know that using silicone sealer on pu coated stuff doesn't work... and probably it won't work on the other side as well, just a thought.

I don't suppose anyone's tried it yet have they?
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think Mac has his own "Secret recipe" coating as fast as he jumped on this...

Or he's just a Camo addict like me...
    Just say'in...
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast