Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images

permithrim

when checking out any study always look at who is writing the report. the bias in this report is only to obvious.! the gnome of blue island

Cannibal and Angrysparrow,
    Hmm. My old, first generation Hennessey stopped skeeters cold. Maybe they have changed the fabric. My current hangs also stop them. I guess it's a crap shoot.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    angrysparrow and I both have (well, I had) the UL version of the Explorer. It's possible/probable they went with a lighter fabric that then allowed the little SOBs to get thru.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    We soaked all of Nest's equipment - hammock, bug ent, and clothes in it while he was in Damascas at the beginning of bug season. We just followed the directions, hung the stuff out to dry overnight and he was good to go. Has had no bug problems on the trail. Other than the smell while soaking the items, no problem.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    George Carlin

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    When I inquired at HH, Ann recommended spraying the hammock with Repel Permanone fabric spray. HH hammock claims it is safe (for the hammock)to use. With either the WS/SS or Nest as second layer I've had no bite through. But for hot dry weather conditions in biting bug country some form of chemical protection would be necessary. I think the Repel 0.5% strength.

Years ago a local gas station was clearing out due to government restriction of some higher concentration Permethrin spray. Bought one can to test on the trousers & shirt I wear while cutting & hauling firewood. Stuff worked great. Hopefully the Repel branded clothing spray is as effective. For skin use the Repel Lemon/Eucalyptus seems very effective. Just can't find the lotion version anymore. Only the liquid (messy if it leaks in the pack) seems to be available.

Drifting back to the original question. Like other people have noted safety is relative to the risks of no protection. Up here the risks are Lyme, West Nile. If you head anywhere tropical mosquitoes are the vector for a significant number of viruses & parasites. This past spring a friend of mine had the unpleasant, painful experience of contracting Dengue. I started using my Repel every evening.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Quote from the HH site....
    (Some HH's are more bug resistant and the bug drugs in question are mentioned.)

"We recommend the Backpacker Asym and Explorer Ultralight models for mosquito infested areas [I use both in summer for this reason] of the world because they feature hammock bottoms made from tightly woven, high performance fabrics which combine durability, better mosquito-resistance, extra-comfortable softness, and perspiration-wicking properties.

Please note, however we do not recommend that you put your bare skin against the hammock fabric. It is common knowlege that extremely persistent mosquitoes can penetrate almost any single layer of woven material, even a heavy pair of jeans, but have very little chance of biting through multiple layers of fabric. Although tropical fabrics for shirts and pants are usually more tightly woven and provide better protection than other clothing. we recommend that hammock users take extra precautions to prevent being stung through the hammock body. We are regularily updating our website with information about the need to wear clothing in the hammmock or place multiple layers of fabric, a pad, or a sleeping bag into the bottom of the
    hammock to make it impossible for mosquitoes to bite through. The Hennessy Hammock's patented "hold-outs" on each side keep the netting well away from your face and the high fabric sides help minimize the chance of being bitten through the netting. Remember also to protect yourself in camp when you are outside the hammock.

For those who don't add layers of fabric for protection, the use of bug spray to the outside of the hammock bottom and netting is common practice in the tropics. The use of Permethrin spray is a standard precaution for many jungle travelers, including the military. This is a very strong spray, not available everywhere. Both extra layers of fabric plus your choice of spray is the best protection. We recommend that you determine what is the best solution for you. It's also a good idea to consult a Tropical Medicine consultant in your area."
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've tried eating a lot of garlic while hiking. Seems to slow them down, but only when there is someone else around for the critters to bite. If I'm alone, it doesn't seem to help.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just this week I herd a commercial on the radio were someone was offering a service to treat YOUR clothing for insects, but I didn't get the name. Apparently you take your clothing & leave it w/ them, like a dry cleaning service.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's genius. I just got two cans of spray permethrin on sale a few days ago for less than $2 each. Who wants to send me their hammocks? I'll treat them for a measley $25+s/h!! Clothes, too (no g-strings).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    That's genius. I just got two cans of spray permethrin on sale a few days ago for less than $2 each. Who wants to send me their hammocks? I'll treat them for a measley $25+s/h!! Clothes, too (no g-strings).
    HaHa, yeah.
    It seams a little scary to me thinking about taking the responsibility of treating people's clothes w/ chemicals considering all the people out there looking for a chance to sue.
    If I'm not mistaken, the radio commercial even made the point of treating your kid's clothes too
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast