Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Here's an off the wall suggestion: build a tensegrity prism using four twelve foot poles and very strong cables (I will probably try this with some 5/16" amsteel I have). Here is a picture of a 4-strut tensegrity prism, albeit very small, and proportioned wrong for a hammock stand. It's a lightweight stove table I use so I can sit in my hammock and cook. In this picture, you need to imagine that there is no kevlar top fabric, the distance between the orange straps is 9ft (this is where you hang your four hammocks), the ridge lines for the hammocks connect the ends of the poles (replacing the tension from the kevlar fabric), and the height of the prism is about 6 ft.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Tensegrities distribute the forces acting on them evenly among all components, so the lines are all under tension (equally) and the struts are all under compression (only - no bending forces). This would probably be the lightest possible support for 4 hammocks, but don't underbuild, because the forces are substantial. You would definitely need a come-along (ratchet hoist) to tighten that last side tendon when assembling it. This little stove table weighs 3 or 4 ounces, but I have to lean on it pretty hard to tighten it down.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I have the Agri supply hammock stand. Sometimes a good solid hammock for cheap makes more sense than trying to make one... I also recently purchased a canvas double ski bag at 55% off at REI ($35). the double ski bag is plenty big for two of these hammocks, I realize now. I could have fit it in a single ski bag. The standard ski bag dimensions are a few inches longer than the longest poles of this hammock. This particular bag has a long zipper lengthwise and 2 webbing straps and cinch buckle that tightens the bag. Very solid construction.

My plan for this was to be able to use this car camping if I knew I was going to a place where tree hanging was not going to work. I can strap the bag on the car rack or throw it in the motorcycle trailer and know it will all stay together in one place, not get all scratched up, etc.

I plan to buy a second stand for my wife, so I wanted a place to "keep it together" and easier to carry.

We also have a Eureka Northern Breeze screen tent with rain flys on all 4 sides. If needed be, we can easily set up the stands inside that in comfort. Thats not how we normally camp- except at the annual family campouts which tends to be in one of those grassy campground spots.

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but that's cool! What's that weigh?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    WV, that is very interesting... for a hammock stand that would hold up to four hammocks, it could be 10' between orange tabs, and 6' off the ground, making each pole roughly 11.5' long.

Would it hold one hammock without tipping over? I'd hate to hang two hammocks, both people get in at the same time, then have it tip over when one gets up in the wee hours, so to speak!

I wonder if you could sneak one hammock into the middle of the structure?

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 03-24-2010 at 13:21.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Stevebo,
    Off the wall solutions notwithstanding (mine included), mclmm probably has the solution you should explore for car camping. Depending on the ages of your children, you might want to try a double-decker hang, with a child's hammock above an adult's. Best bet is to find enough trees. Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Hi, Mac. Here's the info:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    WV, that is very interesting... for a hammock stand that would hold up to four hammocks, it could be 10' between orange tabs, and 6' off the ground, making each pole roughly 11.5' long.
    You're off on your calculations. Those poles don't go to the nearest corner. I'll share the equations with you at Hot Springs.

Would it hold one hammock without tipping over? I'd hate to hang two hammocks, both people get in at the same time, then have it tip over when one gets up in the wee hours, so to speak!
    It depends on the size you choose for your base. With a 4-strut tensegrity the top and bottom squares are rotated 45° from each other, so it's pretty easy to keep the hammocks above the area of the base supports, which mean even a single hammock doesn't make it tippy.

I wonder if you could sneak one hammock into the middle of the structure?
    Most likely not, because the poles get in the way, but it would be a good place to put a small stove. There's a way you could put a smaller tensegrity on top of this one that would give a roof with a small smoke hole in the center.

- MacEntyre

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Yes, my calcs are off because they are 2-D estimates, which ignore the Z plane. Can't wait to talk to you about it in detail!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    You could make a square out of 1 1/4" steel pipe. Raise it up on 6' pipe legs. You could all hang around it and maybe put up one large tarp over the whole rig.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    You could make a square...
    Ed Speer has some portable hammock stands that are rectangular, made of steel pipe, which will hold multiple hammocks.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]