Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    It was in your example
    Ahh, ok. That was just a screenshot of the calculator spreadsheet. The values can be anything you input.

--
    Gadget.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    never once heard anyone recommend you hang your hammocks suspension at 25 degrees to get a 30 degree hammock angle.
    The hammock angle is not set by the suspension, it's the SRL that sets the hammock angle. That's why we have SRLs, to maintain some consistency (and have somewhere to hang your socks ). The suspension angle is always the same, or less, than the hammock angle. When the angle is less, then the SRL comes under load, the value is displayed in the spreadsheet.

--
    Gadget.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Ahh, ok. That was just a screenshot of the calculator spreadsheet. The values can be anything you input.

--
    Gadget.
    I understand that. You just asked where it came from.
    If you tried to use this tool to figure out where the RL 83% came from I can understand why you could not.

The maker of this tool seems to have a misconception or two for why we use these numbers.
    The 30 degree angle for the hammocks suspension is only for the protection of the tree. It provides the lease amount of laterial pressure.
    If you took a hammock and precisely hung the suspensions at 30 degrees and then measured the distance between the gathered ends it would be 83% of the length of the hammock.

Comfort really had nothing to do with it and that is why many have made adjustable RL to fine tune what hammock sag feels best.

Does that help?

Images
    My only misconception was that 83 percent gave you a 30° hammock angle... the two are pretty universally used interchangeably. I was just guilty of a misconception, and that misconception led me to believe the formulas in the spreadsheet were awry.
    But no it seems.
    I think I found the root of the 83% thing here,
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p/t-50630.html

--
    Gadget.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    My only misconception was that 83 percent gave you a 30° hammock angle... the two are pretty universally used interchangeably. I was just guilty of a misconception, and that misconception led me to believe the formulas in the spreadsheet were awry.
    But no it seems.
    I think I found the root of the 83% thing here,
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p/t-50630.html

--
    Gadget.
    Yep that is where I learned about the subject. Thank you digging it up an posting the link I have made it a sticky since the info is still current and very useful.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    That thread brings back good memories. ;-) As was pointed out several times there is no relationship. They only happen to come close. Give a choice I would go a bit flatter to have tension on the ridge line.

FWIW I have been looking at doing a hammock and stand for the back yard. That brought up remembering what the magic number was. I don't need a ridge line with a ridge pole but I will use it to set the anchor points for the hammock on a turtle type stand. Something for the stand folks to consider.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Ah yes, I remember the numbness my head felt when I was reading the original post. Funny how I completely forgot the 30 degree and 83.6% origins but managed to retain the data. My brain petered out along the trail somewhere and it was a nice re-visit.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

So .833 is the ratio of ridge line to hammock length for an empty hammock with 30 degree suspension, and .866 is the ratio for a loaded hammock with a 30 degree suspension?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ailevin View Post
    So .833 is the ratio of ridge line to hammock length for an empty hammock with 30 degree suspension, and .866 is the ratio for a loaded hammock with a 30 degree suspension?
    All measuring stops once you climb in the hammy.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I still measure how fast I'm falling asleep. Usually because I'm in the backyard when I should be doing something else.

I have an adjustable SRL so I can tweak it after I first get the 83% measuring done.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast