Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

Turkey Gap: My first "Real" Hang

Well This trip didn't turn out exactly like I had planned. ((But it turned out great anyway!) I have been looking forward to 3 things: 1. My first winter camping and the weather report expected sleet and freezing rain. 2. My first time backpacking in with a hammock. 3. Meeting the cool people from hammock forums (and hoping to pick their brains on my setup and issues with my equipment.

I had planned another NC hang the weekend before but everyone cancelled so I didn't go. I have to admit I was very disappointed. This time It seemed I was going for sure.

I brought enough gear to survive a blizzard. I had my clark 150. Hangnout's daughter's diy UQ 2/3. A Hudson river top quilt. (this was my real set up.) And as backup I brought my old rei 55 degree mini bag and my 20 year old synthetic bag that got me toasty well below freezing in tents (and weighs 5 lbs ugh but I wanted back up in case the new stuff wasn't enough). I had lots of warm layers to hike and a change to sleep in. Stove, filter, food.
    Clark tarp. Old tent footprint to lay gear on, and old 6 by 8 tarp for gear since I was expecting rain.

Got to the trailhead early and grabbed my at least 40 lb pack and waited for the other hammock people. No one came..... There was a car in the lot with a sticker so i said I can find them alone! Off I went.

Well the link on the forum was accurate. It described my hike well. It was 12:30 pm and the first 2hours were generally up hill some parts quite steep. Once you are over the top of ?sharpey? mountain it was down hill until you get to a smaller trail that led down to the river.

Note... before I went in I stopped at a gas station and the guy there told me "don't stray from the trail" and "if you get lost find the river and follow it down stream and you will get to the road" The trail lost its markings and there were 3 river crossings one of them quite difficult 6 feet above the river on a fallen tree. Then the trail stopped and there was a fire pit.... a cold fire pit..... and an empty fire pit. No hammockers. I had thought I saw a camo hammock but it was such good camo it turned out to be a rhodedendrum.

I was already tired, the sleet had not come yet but was expected at 3pm and it was probably about that time. I realized I chose the wrong trail and I needed to go back to find the other people. Thoughts of just staying here the night crossed my mind but I really wanted to meet the other people from NC who told me they would be here. I also didn't feel secure enought to use my equipment for the first time, alone, for the first time, in winter weather, for the first time. On the other side of a mountain with a poorly marked trail that might be impossible to follow if it snowed or froze badly.

So back over the mountain I went. Don't forget the river crossings first. About 4:30 or so I ran into someone!

Steve the hunter was walking down the trail towards me with a rifle. Great. I asked him if he saw any backpackers...no....I asked him If I could take his picture. He said "I'm not wanted". That was very reasuring of course.

30 minutes later i arrive at the trailhead and the car with the hammock sticker is pulling out..

I met Mac (super nice guy by the way with a way cool pack and lots of insultex to lend me) who said only he and his daughters and wisen were there friday and noone showed up on saturday so they were heading out for bbq would i like to come?

I wanted to be social but I HAD to hang in the storm! It had not started yet so I had time yet. I went down the easier trail and found a nice place to hang.

I got my rig up in the dark (it was about 6:30 when I was finished and just at that moment..the rain came. I was exhausted and climbed in for a good nights sleep waking up to ice on my tarp, the trees and never needing any of the back up gear I hauled up and down the mountain twice. I had to peel off most of my extra layers with the insultex and hangout's daughters uq and did ok with just my rei 55 degree bag (and the clark weather guard which made a difference when it was pulled down to my shoulders) until the temps got below freezing and I had to add the top quilt.

What a sense of peace to be dry and warm in your hammock when its freezing/raining.

By the way I have a pedomoter (ok ok you don't have to say it) that said I took over 22000 stepts and had 7 hours of physical activity that day!

So that was my first hang in the woods and my first backpacking in the winter... sadly alone but still awesome.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific TR .... I was there with you on the journey. Solo is sometimes the best .... you can focus on the hang, gear and have all that "head" time.
    Right goodie!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    .... So that was my first hang in the woods and my first backpacking in the winter... sadly alone but still awesome.
    Great report ... and while maybe sad the others didn't show and you missed Mac and crowd ... a day in the trees is a GREAT day on this old earth. Looks like you had a great test of your rig and probably have figured out what to take next trip.

I've loved solo camps ever since I was a teenager ... back in the dark ages!

Looking forward to meeting you on the trail some time!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Great post. Great trip report. Climbing Sharpie Mtn once with a 40lb pack would test any man. Climbing it twice proves you're a hell of a man. I believe I know where you were and you were not too far from 'camp' when you turned around but sometimes safer while harder is better. Doubt can wreak havoc on the mind. Sounds like you got in a good workout. I look forward to hangin' with you in the future
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    So that was my first hang in the woods and my first backpacking in the winter...
    I call that excellent results! Well done!

I love your ancient Kelty external frame pack. Nothing like making gear last a long time. Let me know when you want to borrow a MMP!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your trip. Better to have extra the first time out than not enough insulation. You will remember this trip (adventure) more than the ones where everything goes perfect. You did alright for first trip in the woods and below freezing. PM if you have more questions on the UQ suspension

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

leigh's quilt

Thank you all for your comments!

what a great place this forum is!

Hangnout, thank your daughter again for the UQ! It was just fine and toasty with macs insultex. I spent more time worrying about whether it was getting wet from the sleet *it wasnt* than I did adjusting it for cold spots as I did in the backyard test. It is amazing how cold the outside was when you touched it, and how warm the inside was of the UQ. You were right about tying it to the gathers of the hammock tighter than I had been. I did find I had to slide it under my thighs at one point and I also realized I never cinched the gathers at the foot end so I am sure a breeze could get in there. I did put that on in the dark tho. Next time I set up in the daylight! I had brought grip clips to snug it up to the sides if needed but never put them on mostly because it was sleeting and I was tired and I was warm anyway. That seems like a rested daylight project to me.

I would use it again in the temps to below freezing and feel confident on my next hang....which i hope is soon.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Fantastic first trip results! It's great to know you have the ability to make the right calls, even though they are not necessarily the easy calls. It's also great that you have the skills and equipment to hike into the woods and over a mountain twice, then set up in the dark and spend a night in the sleet and rain and you were warm and comfortable. Makes ya feel like you accomplished something, doesn't it?

Congratulations!

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    well....to be honest...more like a hill.....what can I say.... maybe I exagerated for your entertainment.

but thanks for the nice response.

• + New Posts