Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    The line in the vid is the 2mm Dynaglide. I also make them using the 1.75 Zing It. I actually like the Zing It better for making these.
    Thanks, opie. Those would be pretty cool!

btw, I too had my bands freeze. Disappointing since they really are a great idea. On my one tarp, I ended up switching to hair elastics. Not as efficient as the bands though.

I'm thinking the slings would be a good way to go for quick tightening after the sag sets in.

Keep up the good work!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can attest to them freezing up .... mine stat stretched out.
    Now I use the king with line and shock-cord and have no problems in well below freezing temps.
    Headchange4u has directions ....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3731
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Yeah, I use the shock cord kind as well, although honestly I don't use them very often. I find I can pull most of the stretch out when I pitch the tarp.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    are those made the same way as woopie slings opie?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Green Theraband can freeze in the extended position in the teens. One of four did that to me at the 2nd Mt Rogers hang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I can attest to them freezing up .... mine stat stretched out.
    Now I use the king with line and shock-cord and have no problems in well below freezing temps.
    Headchange4u has directions ....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3731
    Shug
    Thanks for the feedback.

It only got to 30 here last night... I didnt think about the freezer. But now I dont need to.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    are those made the same way as woopie slings opie?
    Made in the UCR style. I started with the whoopie sling, but its to much cord for a tie out.

It does work on the same principle... Constrictor on a line.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Have replaced knots with Micro Line locs for the guy and ridgeline. Not sure about use when lines have been coated in a layer of frozen precip. Have use them under freezing rain sleet conditions. No need to remove gloves to set up or pack up, lighter than Figure9s and no line wear.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Love my Fig 9s, but I don't use them everywhere; just on the tarp ridgeline.

I use the convertible mittens and they solve 99% of my cold digit issues. Same concept as the Yetis, keep the blood flow warm in the palm area and your fingertips will stay useful longer. When I need to tie something I just flip the finger part of the mitten over and my fingers are exposed and productive. Never takes more than a couple of minutes to get everything set and the fingers stay warm long enough for that, no problem.

When it's cold AND wet, you'll find me sporting some thin neoprene gloves from my scuba kit. The material is form fitting enough that I can work most of my knots and lashings without a problem. I occasionally have to slip my hands out of them for a few seconds, but more often than not I can get everything done without exposing my sissy finger flesh.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH EULA w/ 2QZQ Mod
    Tarp
    Stock HH Asym
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Update to below: I just read the link Shug posted above. I defer to that method for self-tensioning guy lines vs. the method I've used below. I like the method that thread references much better than mine. So well, in fact, that I'm going to convert my guy lines to that method!

Now to my origininal post.....

First a qualifier - I'm new to hanging, but I've pitched my share of tents and tarps/fly in the cold wet mid-west winters. Also, perish the thought, but I'm not a winter knot person. Regardless of the mittens/convertible gloves/handwarmers I've chosen, I still get very cold hands trying to knot up everything, particularly if it is both cold and wet. I concur with many that the figure 9s are excellent in cold wet weather. They are very easy to use, even if I have mittens on and they break down without issue even when covered in ice. I primarily use the small carabiner version with aluminum tent pegs that I've attached loops of kelty reflective cord. The loops are about 6" long so they protrude up from light snowfall. That helps prevent folks tripping over my lines at night.

The downside to adding the figure 9s is well, adding the figure 9s. If you are a gram counter, the additional weight will probably be prohibitive. There are many non-hardware suggestions here in this thread you could try if that is the case.

I've tried a few different auto-tensioners, including some that I made myself years ago out of surgical tubing. They worked great until it got cold. Had many stretch and stay in that position and one time had two fail in cold gusty conditions. Now I use good old shock cord. The cold eventually takes its toll on it, but I have typically gotten at least a couple of winters out of it before it has to be replaced and I've never had it fail. For my tents, where the fly lines are short, I've used all shock cord. For tarps, where the lines tend to be much longer, I've just put about 2 feet of shock cord into the middle of the line (using double fisherman's knots) and then replace it when it starts losing its elasticity. I tend to be cheap, so the shock cord I buy is not the best. Maybe more expensive types would last longer.

Anyone have a favorite shock cord and source that seems to hold up really well in cold weather?

My .02. Worth price charged....

What a great forum, btw. I learn a ton every time I sit down and read through the posts. So many ways to do things and this forum is full of folks that love to test and experiment. Brings a tear to my engineering eye...
    Last edited by jdm80; 12-31-2009 at 14:46.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm80 View Post
    Anyone have a favorite shock cord and source that seems to hold up really well in cold weather?
    I use shockcord from ThruHiker and REI, depending on if I have something else to order from ThruHiker at the time. I've not had much of a freezing issue with either of them. They may stiffen-up when it really gets down there, but I've not yet had them become brittle.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast