Tarp
    Gear Guide 7x9Camo
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

pad alternatives for a sleeved bag?

Unless a big storm blows up between christmas and new years, I'm hoping to take a short 3 day ride down to the GW National Forest and parts of West Virigina. Needing a cool-cold bag for not a ton of money, I picked up one of the Alps Mountaineering 'fusion' bags from REI that come with a 20* bag (clearwater) and a mummy self-inflating pad that fits into a sleeve on the back of the bag. Unlike the BA bags, this does have insulation on both sides.

Since I know I won't be on the ground, I'd like to leave the pad at home. I was planning initially to use it in the pad sleeve and put a space blanket between the layers of my WB traveler, but got to thinking if there was some other alternative to toss in the bag's sleeve. I can get a second space blanket pretty easily obviously, would that be enough bottom insulation for 20ish degree nights (one in the hammock's sleeve, one in the bag's)? What about a fleece blanket in the bag's sleeve, would it just get crushed too and not help? Whatever ends up in the sleeve, it would be helpful if it was flexible enough to simply get stuffed into the compression sack with the bag...

Thanks

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I'd take the pad and the sb/fleece combo. It's winter, man.

Even then, you stand a chance of being cold.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The space blanket won't fix conduction, only radiation... laying on the ground would be miserable. If the pad is too heavy, get a different pad...

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 7x9Camo
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Its more of a space issue than a weight issue, trying to fit this all on the back of a motorcycle without getting too top heavy or taking up too much room behind me. The trip starts Tuesday unless the storm that's coming gets here early, and I will be taking the pad along with a space blanket, the fleece blanket, and hopefully an army bivy. I won't be on the ground though, I know everywhere I'm going has trees.

• + New Posts