DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Snowshoe trip in the Porkies

I have booked an eight bunk cabin at the Porkies for the nights of Jan 2nd and 3rd for snowshoeing. I know, sleeping in a cabin and not a hammock. Well this trip is more about the snowshoeing, but I suppose you could bring along your hammock and sleep outside. I wouldn't want more than the amount of people that should be in the cabin. You would be welcome to cook and dress in the cabin at of course your share of the fee. It's $60 a night to be split evenly for each night of use. I booked the River Union cabin. I believe it's around a three mile hike in. It would be a free-for-all hike for anyone who goes, but I wouldn't want to see anyone hiking alone in the winter. Finding someone who is around your pace for a day hike is always preferred. Waiting for someone to catch up would be to cold. Get my point? Last year I stayed in a yurt and they had just about everything you need. There was firewood, fire pit outside, stove inside for warmth and to melt snow, pots and pans, and all the modern features of an outhouse . So let me know if you are interested. Three are confirmed, one possible and the rest open. Come roll in the New Year with a trip in the snow!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Oms, nice offer, not sure I can make it tho. Might be a good idea to explain the Porkies to those not familar with them. For those of you needing a 'snow fix', this is the place to go.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Oms,

We have something in common: we are both planning an outing the same weekend.

When you say Jan 2&3, do you mean into Monday the 4th?
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    ... Might be a good idea to explain the Porkies to those not familiar with them. For those of you needing a 'snow fix', this is the place to go.
    I'm not Oms, obviously, but to address Gargoyle's point: The "Porkies", or more properly, the Porcupine Mountains, is a Michigan state park on the shores of Lake Superior. It's the closest thing to "mountians" we have in the midwest .

map: http://www.michigandnr.com/Publicati...tmapforweb.pdf

It contains many miles of backpacking/xc ski trails, escarpments with terrific view of the lake, and stands of old growth white pines. A wonderland anytime of year, but my favorite time there is winter! Spent many a week alone "lost" on the woods,and several times in a snowcave near Lost Lake.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wish I could make it! There is also a ton of great skiing with in an hour of there. Big Powderhorn, Indianhead, not sure if Blackjack is opening this year. Not to mention Cat-sking at the Porkies. It is BIG SNOW country!

Have a great time and post pictures!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Canoeski for posting the link. We are planning to go up and stay somewhere on Jan 1st and then get there early and hike to the cabin on the 2nd. We will then stay the night of the 2nd and 3rd. On the 4th we will hike out and drive home. I sort of threw a quick post out there this morning. It wasn't very clear. Bottom line is there are some nicely groomed trails for cross country skiers which provide smooth snowshoeing as well. Last year we snowshoed between the ski ruts. If your into skiing you will really like the trails. There are also trails that are not groomed not to mention just bush whacking. If your wanting to, there is a downhill ski area in the park. I also did that on our last trip along with "cross country ski by lanterns" on a two mile loop set up by the Ranger. It's a winter wonderland up there. Here are some pics from last year.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/GeorgeG6...u3ksSop_HalAE#

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice pictures! Looks like a ton of fun. On your way back try to hit the Black River area and check out the water falls...
    http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/10780/travel.html

Yeahhh, the pictures dont do it justice....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stone; 12-16-2009 at 22:18. Reason: pictures dont do justice

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like a fun trip. I always thought that a yurt trip would be a lot of fun. We have a good yurt system out here about an hour out of Boise that has 5 or 6 yurts and miles and miles of trails to and from them. If I remember right they are full stocked with everything but food and bedding for up to 8 people. Always wanted to do a long weekend trip and not have to carry all the gear and worry all the time about staying dry and warm constantly, have a warm place to go into when done running around the woods. Will have to try and do a trip with the kids some time.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    GAAH! (sorry- just the thought of that MUCH snow... maybe I should change my name to Orchid girl..)

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Last chance for anyone interested. I will be picking one of the guys up from the Joliet, Il area and heading north. If you are in route we would be happy to swing by and pick you up. Three of us are going so there is plenty of room. We are stopping and staying in a motel by Lake Gogebic on Friday night. Saturday we will get up, eat and have a short drive to the Porkies. Plan on snowshoeing on Sat and Sun or if you want you can do your own thing (like build a igloo or something ).

Oms

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast