WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tents Are Better than Hammocks

What are the reasons that you guys like hammocks better than tents? There are the obvious ones like comfort and ease of setup, but what are some of the less obvious reasons you've found over the years?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Do we need anything else other than comfort? That's why a lot of us got off the ground.

Well, I like that I can easily make my hammy, suspension, bug net and tarp when it would be more difficult and expensive to make a tent setup. Making the insulation would be about the same except I can make my UQ instead of buying a ccf mat.

I can setup where tents cannot and less impact on ground. If no suitable anchor points, I can use my hiking poles and still make a bivy with my hammock and tarp. Let's see a tent do that for the same weight.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    The obvious one: comfort. It is obvious but there is absolutely no comparison. A hammock gets you away from the ground, in a floating palace more comfortable than your bed at home. You can sit in it to put on your shoes, or relax and see the environment around you. You can make your own hammock setup in 2 days with some minor skills. Plus, there definitely isn't a tent forum as cool as this one. There are quite a few additional reasons that I can't think of/am too lazy to type right now.

And my hammock has never leaked.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Folding my tarp back and staring at the stars at night with a light breeze blowing across the hammock = heaven!! What more reason do you need!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Now that's funny. Thanks for the laugh but remember we have to treat everyone equally in these modern times

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    One reason other than comfort is my entire summer kit (Tarp, Hammock, 40 deg full length TQ & UQ) weighs 3lb 2oz. While I am sure there are lighter options available, you would have to spend a pretty penny to get a ground setup this light and wouldn't be nearly as comfortable! I also love the pride factor in saying I made it all myself.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am talking about camping in July while all my tent friends are like "SAY WHAT?!?!"

Cooler sleeping in hot weather bottom line.

Less obvious reasons? Hmm..

It doesn't not likely qualify as "less obvious" but waking up in a hammock for me is amazing as opposed to in a tent. Visually.

Often I will have me a breakfast snack tucked away (usually pop tart) - take a quick pee - and just enjoy whatever view I got in porch mode and eat - relax - maybe make my coffee from the hammock.

I mean - not only is it comfortable but I feel it often allows you to stay more visually connected with the wilderness and that is often just awesome.

But for me it was entirely about comfort. I actually sleep good in the woods in my setup.

My first couple trips when waking up and feeling no discomfort and noting hours of un-interrupted sleep (save for one pee break) - I was sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WBBB and Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    20*Phoeni 0*CaveCr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Reasons hammocks are better�� For me personally, the obvious one is comfort, and that comes first. I have a really bad back and two bad shoulders. Sleeping on the ground, even on a pad is almost not an option anymore. Second in a hammock I fell like I'm going to sleep and waking up outdoors,(if that makes sense.) Especially when I don't have to pitch the tarp down low, which fortunately here in So. California is not very often.

Images
    Because people who aren't familiar with hammocks think I must be crazy.....and I am. Nothing like messing with the general public to add to my entertainment value.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    How about only 2 points of contact for crawly things. So in comparing tents to hammocks, I am sure flying things are equal, but crawly things can only come down my suspensions which soaked routinely in toxic waste to kill anyhting that looks at it. Nothing is bug free.

As said many times, comfort. Not only body comfort, but temp to. Being able to get a breeze in a hammock compaired to tent with the fly on... not happening.

Another thing is diy. Ok tq on either side, but where is the tent diy site... after reading my above comments you cant think I would ever tarp camp. No way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast