Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neim0003 View Post
    But back to the post, I was more interested in understanding the physics of these tarps and doors, and why 10' just doesn't cut it. For some reason, 11x10 tarps just feel gigantic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'd agree than its not needed. I mean, if you've got doors closed, even if not so tight, then you're not having to worry about windblown rain. You are essentially covered from the straight down rain. I really don't think there is any "physics", or rather, physical characteristics that make it necessarily less dry, though any time the horizontal distance of coverage over the hammock is decreased, there is an increase in potential for wetness - notice that's not necessarily getting wet, but the potential for more wetness than you might otherwise prefer, a preference which we really don't know that much about until we get into and have experience in the backcountry, an initial unknown variable that has ultimately led to longer tarps.

However, for me personally, one of the reasons I don't tent anymore is that I don't like the feel of a claustrophobic enclosure. Actually, I didn't realize I don't like that until I started hanging. I think a tarp with doors that short I think would drive me crazy. Um, that would be more crazy. Just makes it seem like more of an enclosure.

My 12' tarp with 2QZQ's cuben vestibule doors does seem freaking gigantic sometimes, and I love it! Truth is though, I end up having one side up most the time which means only one side of doors worth deploying, which is fine, that works ok and I get my wide open feel.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    ...Think of the worst case scenario: for whatever reason you arrive at your site destination in the dark, in a wind blown hard rain. Imagine how frustrating it would be to have to get your gear so perfectly aligned. I guarantee those few extra inches of tarp will be so appreciated...
    Yes, this. (Ergo, Murphy...)

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Most all of these cottage guys will custom make ya what ya want. If you dead set on a ten footer, just ask them to make you one.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    For a winter tarp, you have to remember that coverage in the winter is as much horizontal for wind and blowing snow as it is from vertical precipitation and with winter outer apparel, you need a clear place to stand up to put things on and off. You don't want to be taking it off in your hammock and getting your quilts all snowy and wet, nor do you want to drape them over your ridgeline to dry and have them drip all over your quilts either. All of that means you need some place else to put it. Plus as mentioned earlier, the weight difference is not much. I was very surprised at how light it was compared to my backpackers tarp from Walmart which was much smaller.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    ...However, for me personally, one of the reasons I don't tent anymore is that I don't like the feel of a claustrophobic enclosure. Actually, I didn't realize I don't like that until I started hanging. I think a tarp with doors that short I think would drive me crazy. Um, that would be more crazy. Just makes it seem like more of an enclosure.

My 12' tarp with 2QZQ's cuben vestibule doors does seem freaking gigantic sometimes, and I love it! Truth is though, I end up having one side up most the time which means only one side of doors worth deploying, which is fine, that works ok and I get my wide open feel.
    This is one reason why I like tarps over tents. You can close the tarp down like a tent, then open it up in all it's full glory, unlike a tent. Best of both worlds.

My 11'x10' from same trees, same hang:
    Storm mode all closed down
    IMG_0322 copy.jpg
    Opened up for a great view
    IMG_0372 copy.jpg IMG_0371 copy.jpg

For those that don't like the amount of fabric in a 11'x10' Winter style tarp, you don't have to keep the same dimensions. If you like the 11' RL, you can go with a span of 8' or even 6' to lessen the weight and keep the end coverage. Same with 10' RL. Just customize as needed.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    This is one reason why I like tarps over tents. You can close the tarp down like a tent, then open it up in all it's full glory, unlike a tent. Best of both worlds.

For those that don't like the amount of fabric in a 11'x10' Winter style tarp, you don't have to keep the same dimensions. If you like the 11' RL, you can go with a span of 8' or even 6' to lessen the weight and keep the end coverage. Same with 10' RL. Just customize as needed.
    Shorter sides though mean it won't reach the ground in storm mode... that's ok in rain maybe, but with blowing snow, it'll blow right under. Even with the 1-2" gap that happens from uneven ground it'll blow under. You can see it in the video I posted in weather protection. Also you'll see how little room there is to work with in storm mode, and that unlike a lot of people (but like Floridahanger here) I don't overlap my doors but instead I have them kiss. I also don't tie it in the middle, I only clip them together at the corners, which is then pulled straight out at a slight angle so i don't trip on the line. This let's me just walk right out with heavy gloves on, being careful to step over the clipped corners.
    This maintains ventilation, but prevents most of the wind from comming in. Because it goes to a vertical point, snow blows mostly around to the sides, rather than being funneled directly to underneath my hammock. Some tarps are designed so that the doors are vertical when overlapped and don't angle under (see Shugs) most of the time I'd prefer just being able to walk out, but in extreme weather, I think I'd like to close it a bit tighter

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Well, I will give a little input from an ultralight/gram-weenie/weight conscious perspective. This is with the following understanding: a) the OP is interested in a tarp with doors to provide 360* protection and b) the OP is interested in 3-season use in inclimate weather, not a "true" winter tarp.

Strictly speaking, so long as your tarp covers the RL of your hammock and extends far enough to cover the water break on your suspension (toggles it sounds like in this case) the tarp is "technically" sufficiently long. Now, people have differing opinions on what it means to "extend far enough to cover the water break".

Honestly, you could conceivably run a tarp that only extends 2" past your water break on each end, especially if you have overlapping doors. This does require way more precision in set up than if you have 12" on each end. Less room for error. Additionally, having a shorter tarp like that means hanging the tarp much closer to the hammock RL. This can be either a good or a bad thing, depending. It means your tarp is lower, and can provide more coverage on the sides, but it provides less space.

My suggestion for you would be to pick up a cheap 8'x10' tarp and practice a couple hangs with it. Figure out if a 10 RL really is sufficient. It would only cost you $10, at most. Once you have a few pitches with it, you can make the decision as to weather or not you need more length. That way, you don't drop $400 on a cuben tarp that doesn't quite perform how you want.

On the anecdotal side, I have found that with my preferred length of hammock (10.5') a tarp with the same RL length works great. I can pitch it pretty tight to the hammock, it gives good coverage, there is comfortable wiggle room, and it doesn't feel unnecessarily large. I can see going shorter with a tarp that has doors though.

God-speed, and let us know what you decide to go with!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neim0003 View Post
    For some reason, 11x10 tarps just feel gigantic.
    So, which 11 foot taps have you slept under that feel "gigantic"?

--
    Gadget.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    So, which 11 foot taps have you slept under that feel "gigantic"?
    Smartaxx!! Buy hey, decent point as its only 6" on either side. I'm hypothesizing that for a lot of gram counters, an entire foot on paper seems gigantic.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A lot of times you can talk to the cottage vendors to try and shorten the ridge line if you like their product but want it a little smaller. And if they don't they can tell you why that wouldn't be the best option for you. Maybe shoot warbonnet an email if you like their superfly and see what they can help you with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast