Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    [QUOTE=neim0003;1649708]I currently use a custom 6x8 tarp from simplylightdesigns, hung on the diagonal (10'). ... like to be very weight and pack-size conscious. I'm also thinking of it for a future AT or PCT thruhike, so being a gram weeny on this helps :-)
    /QUOTE]
    Ahh good background, thanks.
    I am assuming you are using an 11' hammock, it's been quoted a lot in the thread, but you haven't explicitly said so. Being a weight weenie, it's always possible you are using a 9 footer!
    (which would change the dynamic somewhat)
    I get the feeling that the ground dwelling option is guiding you decision making a fair bit. In that respect a 10x8 makes a lot of sense.

Disregarding the marginal end coverage, I am a bit doubtful of the value of doors on a tarp with 4' sides, when in hammock mode. I have one, a TW Sargasso, although it has doors, it is too short sided to reach the ground, even with my 11' hammock hung super low. So the benefit of doors is lost because the wind howls underneath anyway!

Now, my DIY 140x116" with doors is a different matter. With the tarp ridge down on the hammock SRL, it reaches the ground, with reasonable spread too. So, therefore, the doors make sense.
    I made it with the membrane silpoly from ripstopbytheroll, came in at just under 400g, that's 34g per foot of ridgeline.
    The bare minimum I would recommend for a 11' hammock would be 10.5x9'.
    HTH

--
    Gadget.

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome (HyperD)
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I prefer the extra space which makes me feel less cramped and gives me extra room to move around. I also don't have to worry as much with heavy rain and any increased chance of wetness with a smaller tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    True but OP asked:

And the answer is partly what i stated, the other part having already been stated... that sizes offered are the most commonly requested sizes. Plus, usually people who are strictly "shave the grams" types go for minimal coverage, forgoing the doors etc... while people who want full coverage... well, they want full coverage.

A little side advantage to having a full coverage tarp: I came back to my hammy to find so i checked the weather and saw T- storms. Because of the size of my tarp, I was able to adjust my tarp so that the hole wasn't over any of my gear, and still had full protection when the rain came

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Good reason to have some of the clear gorilla tape , oh crap 3' would weigh 2 grams forget it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345