Tarp
    HGdcf, SLDwinterhv
    Insulation
    WBlynx, HGburrow
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    Images

Arkansas Rivers, Kayak,Hang,FlyFish

I am researching rivers in AR to find a couple of rivers worthy of multi-day kayak trip. 2-4 days sometime this year.

Would love to find a couple of rivers for different trips.

I am not looking for Olympic white water and heart-stopping rapids. Nor do I feel the pull of long and lazy pools where you end up paddling for the better part of a day. I certainly don't mind sharing the river but I'm not looking to share it with a typical spring break crowd.

Rapids, pocket water, pools, trees to hang from and wadeable water. I like to mix it up with fishing from the kayak and wading whenever I can.

The research suggests the time of year is very important with the rise and fall of the river. This trip may have to wait until Sept-Nov.

Would love to do something before then. Maybe a small scouting trip beforehand might be in order.

Anyone out there want to talk about joining me?20160220_firsthang_0001.jpg

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Look at the Buffalo National River. My first trip, we put in at "Tyler Bend" (national camp ground) and had a river company deliver our truck 4 days later. We canoed down to the White River. Very remote, but still people around.
    The next year, we put in at "Kyles Landing", also a national campground and went down to Tyler Bend. In between are several camp areas, most with pit toilets and some with water. This is "up" river, so not as much flow so it depends on when/where you put in. the river outfitters are best advice on it. We spent 4 days then getting "down" river to Tyler Bend. The up river, (Kyles to Tyler) we hit a camping area every night. However on the section from Tyler to the White (Buffalo City) it is VERY remote (Paddle Faster, I hear banjos).
    I hung every night on both sections. However, if I go again, I'm taking a machete. Hanging down by the river can be iffy on decent trees (they are mostly pushed to a 45 degree angle facing down river). However if you head UP the embankment, there is often open forest IF you have a machete to hack thru 20 yards of it (if you even need to, mostly tall grasses).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HGdcf, SLDwinterhv
    Insulation
    WBlynx, HGburrow
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    Images
    Thanks for the tips.
    Yes I have been looking at the Buffalo closely. A friend of mine did the lower area a few years ago and loved the isolation. He said the fishing was so-so. That seems to be the only part of the River that is floatable this time of year. I've heard the fishing is best on the middle section during the fall.
    Been looking at the Little Missouri as well.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    The little Missouri is great! Probably too shallow for floating but there are lots of trails that follow the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HGdcf, SLDwinterhv
    Insulation
    WBlynx, HGburrow
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    Images
    The Little Mo does look like a good place to float/camp/fish. I agree. There is another fellow on the forum, SidVicious I think, who just finished a hike on the river. Im beginning to suspect its all about the timing with most of the rivers that aren't tailwaters.

Hammock
    WBBB, GT UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3S Yeti, HG Inncub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Eleven Point river in Missouri is about three hours away. Good trout fishing and could easily be done in 2-3 days. Plenty of good spots to hang along the river.
    "Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations"

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HGdcf, SLDwinterhv
    Insulation
    WBlynx, HGburrow
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    Images
    I floated the 11 point many many years ago. I've heard it's a problem with sweepers. I realize that could change week to week. I've also heard about some great fishing from a guide I know who fishes with another guide in the Spring. I tried to go last Spring but the river was blown out the week I was available.
    Are you a regular patron of the 11 point?

• + New Posts