Tarp Repair question + general tarp-tent setup

For christmas I ordered a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker A-sym with free scout, and upgraded the Ultralight's tarp to the regular Hex-fly, at no additional cost. I had planned on buying another mfg's Poncho/tarp to bring as my rain gear/rain fly on an upcoming section hike of the A.T. this spring, so figured it would make more sense to get the bigger fly option to have around for regular camping/car camping where pack weight isn't a concern.

Anyway, the fly they sent me had some material flaws, a run of slight tears about 3-4mm in length, and some pin-holes in it, that I discovered upon initial inspection. I called them up at Hennessy, and sent a quick couple pictures, and they said it was no big deal, they'd get a fresh one sent out, and that I could just keep the damaged tarp since, it was damaged, and therefore useless to them.

Now, these little rips arent that big of a deal and seem like I could probably repair or patch them somehow, and that would be a free 25 oz, 132" x 122" hex tarp. Whats the best procedure for patching or repairing 70D Sil-nylon?

Second, I am going to be hiking this spring with 3 other people using hammocks, and we wanted to bring some sort of shelter or tarp that the four of us could set up in if there was enough driving rain that our hammocks might not stay dry, or it got really cold & we wanted to go to ground (we have sleeping bags, not under-quilts), plus it would be something to cook under that we could hang with the bear-bag after dinner, to keep food scent off our hammocks, tarps & rest of our gear. We were looking at the Kifaru 4 or 6 man Tipi, and my grandma bought me a Sierra Designs Origami 4 UL for christmas to check out, (though its still on backorder, and I might cancel it for some other equipment).

Since I now have these 2 Hennessy hex tarps, we were thinking about just bringing one or both of them for that use. Has anybody used a tarp like this , or one of similar size/setup, without using the hammock, like you would a tent? how many people did you sleep under 1? I've also seen a few different mfg make tarp "Beaks"/end-caps, can anybody recommend one to use in conjunction with them?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    This is how I would fix the ripped tarp... I'd get a piece of silnylon or DWR ripstop nylon, cut a patch from it that's larger than the rip and sew it to the top side of the tarp. Sew a few stitch lines through the rip, probably using a zig-zag stitch. (do not use any cotton thread). When done with all the stitch lines, you'll need to seal this. I use clear 100% sylicone outdoor window & door chaulk from Lowe's I use it straight from the tube but others like to thin it down (I think with mineral spirits?). Let this dry for 24 to 48 hours. I've repaired tents this way and it's worked for me. Not pretty but it works!!! I also put a little of the sylicone chaulk on the back side of the "patch" to hold it to the material I was fixing although by doing that, I then waited until the next day to start the sewing (I didn't want chaulk on my sewing needle).
    The only suggestion I can say about the large tarp for 3-4 people,.... one time I was with a group and we put all of our seperate tarps together and made a shelter out of them. Or a 10x12 or a 12x12 silnylon tarp should be plenty big enough for that many people.
    TinaLouise

Thanks.

I'll have to head over to Walmart and see what they have in the way of sil-nylon.

I'm not the greatest with a sewing machine. What do you think about adding some light tension to the damaged tarp, cutting a patch to size, applying a thin layer of silicone to the bottom side of it, and stacking a bunch of text books on top of & underneath to keep everything nice & flat, and letting it dry for a day or two?

I get not to use Cotton thread, but is there a specific type to reccomend, so I can go to a store and say "I need X type thread"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If the holes were as small as you say, 3-4mm, I would stretch the tarp out and cover the holes with a blob of silicone. Maybe coat both side to assure that you are plugging the holes. That method would definitely take care of the pin holes.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LaVista View Post
    I get not to use Cotton thread, but is there a specific type to reccomend, so I can go to a store and say "I need X type thread"
    Gutterman, 100% Polyester

You will not find silnylon at Walmart. I could send you some scrap if Gray is ok. PM me your address if you want it.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by LaVista View Post
    What do you think about adding some light tension to the damaged tarp, cutting a patch to size, applying a thin layer of silicone to the bottom side of it, and stacking a bunch of text books on top of & underneath to keep everything nice & flat, and letting it dry for a day or two?
    I can see that working, but that wouldn't be the repair of choice. If you choose this method, add some waxed paper on both sides, so that your text books don't become part of the repair.

hc4u's approach sounds good.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts