Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Cocoon Bag warmer than Top/Bottom Quilt Combo?

When I have camped in cold conditions in a sleeping bag, I couldn't get warm until I totally zipped up my bag and put my head inside; it made a huge difference.

So my question is: to what extent does a separate Top/Bottom underquilt combo leak out warmth and lose the "sleeping bag" effect? How can the top quilt stay "snug" when you toss and turn during the night? I have a Snugpak cocoon-- essentially a giant sleeping bag that the hammock goes through-- and I believe it prevents the escape of body heat very well, the same way a sleeping bag does. But it's heavy. I'm looking at large sleeping bags with foot vents as an option for summer conditions.

I'm arguing that the "peapod" effect greatly increases the warmth of a sleep system, and separating the top and underquilt reduces it, the same way a sleeping bag isn't maximized until it's totally zipped up. Comments?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never tried a cocoon or peapod, but would be concerned about the ability to lay diagonal. Every photo I've ever seen has folks sleeping banana style.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    When I have camped in cold conditions in a sleeping bag, I couldn't get warm until I totally zipped up my bag and put my head inside; it made a huge difference.

So my question is: to what extent does a separate Top/Bottom underquilt combo leak out warmth and lose the "sleeping bag" effect? How can the top quilt stay "snug" when you toss and turn during the night? I have a Snugpak cocoon-- essentially a giant sleeping bag that the hammock goes through-- and I believe it prevents the escape of body heat very well, the same way a sleeping bag does. But it's heavy. I'm looking at large sleeping bags with foot vents as an option for summer conditions.

I'm arguing that the "peapod" effect greatly increases the warmth of a sleep system, and separating the top and underquilt reduces it, the same way a sleeping bag isn't maximized until it's totally zipped up. Comments?
    I use a pod in deep winter camping and always really warm. But I am not a toss and turner. Up to certain temps I am good with a TQ and UQ but below -5º I like a pod.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never tried a cocoon or peapod, but would be concerned about the ability to lay diagonal. Every photo I've ever seen has folks sleeping banana style.
    I use one and am not banana style at all. Maybe on a bit less of an angle but always comfortable and warm. You can hear me talk about it at 2:55 in on the video below if you want. Either way, I am on an angle.
    Not sure what photos your looking at.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Not sure what photos your looking at.
    That's a great video to show why people think peapods don't allow you to hang at an angle. As you said during the video, "Everybody thinks that I'm not on an angle here," and it certainly doesn't look like you're at an angle, but I'll take your word for it Shug!

Things look different in two dimensions, I guess.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While being fully enclosed will retain more heat, there are some issues like trying to get into the bag one you are in the hammock. Also the part of the bag under you will provide little to no insulation as your weight will be crushing the insulation.

A Top quilt uses a foot box in which you place your feet to keep it in place.

With a UQ and TQ I have gone down to 9 degrees and stayed very toasty and others have gone much lower.

I did use my old mummy sleeping bag as a TQ ( fully unzipped ) until I could afford a TQ. Took me 4 years to get The Terminator to give up her sleeping bag and use a TQ ( I "forgot" to pack it and said I guess you will have to use this TQ I brought as backup ) and she agrees the TQ weights less and works just as well.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's a great video to show why people think peapods don't allow you to hang at an angle. As you said, "Everybody thinks that I'm not on an angle here," and it certainly doesn't look like it, but I'll take your word for it Shug!
    I would not lie. If it were not so I would not have used the pod system on so many Winter trips. Folks can believe it or not. As long as I am warm, nay-sayers can suit themselves.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    While being fully enclosed will retain more heat, there are some issues like trying to get into the bag one you are in the hammock. Also the part of the bag under you will provide little to no insulation as your weight will be crushing the insulation.
    Why would the insulation under you be crushed in a peapod system? Isn't it hanging free underneath the hammock?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been down to -3* F with my 0* HG Incubator UQ, but I must admit, I cheated. I also had an HG 20* Phoenix stacked underneath. Call me a wimp.

I think the lowest I've gone with just the 0* Incubator is 0* F.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I have the snugpak cocoon.

By itself it isn't very good. The ends don't seal well and it's not very lofty.

In conjunction with a TQ and UQ however, and it's excellent. I run a small piece of shock cord from the cocoon zipper to my ridgeline and it lifts the fabric off my face. I leave just a little opening in the zipper and there's no condensation. It really is too heavy for all but the shortest backpacking trips. I've used it in my yard at around 0 degrees and was happy.

Here's a video I did of it.
    https://youtu.be/n-SiwHzo9ys

Last edited by Speedogomer; 07-09-2016 at 02:22.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and pad
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Why would the insulation under you be crushed in a peapod system? Isn't it hanging free underneath the hammock?
    You are correct, in a normal sleeping bag though, the insulation would be crushed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast