BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    while 4 of us "lolly gagged" around our camp(s) with our rigs fully employed a fella and his girl came strolling thru camp on their way to the spring up the trail. The fella stopped at Mike's rig for a moment of pause and then started to ask a few questions about hammocks. His main interest/concern/reply was that "i would hammock, but i can never find trees"
    (now remember, there were 4 of us already set up and hanging)
    i just gave him a side-ways look, and by his responsive stare back at me i dont think he himself even understood what he just said.

it reminds me of the time when Barry Goldwater commented that once on the South Rim of GC, he watched in amazement as numbers of people turned to watch a polaroid photo develop when the whole canyon in it's real-life majesty is right in front of them.

about tents or tarps, i too started tarping before hanging. it seems like a natural progression, as one HF'er put it "if i can sleep under a tarp on the ground, i can sleep under a tarp above the ground"
    still, i dont agree that a full sized, fully enclosed hammock tarp is a tent. far too many pitching options for the tarp that a tarptent or real tent (floorless or otherwise) cannot match.
    im surely aware that my winter tarp in "enclosed" mode might look like a tarptent to a passerby, but they may be unaware of the wonderful, hidden gem that is my hammock tucked up inside. Priceless!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    One of these days, I want to try hanging my hammock through my 8-person mega tent when my little family wants to car-camp with the pack-and-play crib. I guess it _is_ a tent, but I'm off the ground!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    No contradiction for me. You're either on the ground or off the ground. Tarping techniques apply to either application. Hangers may have an inherent advantage since they can always secure their tarp to a tree on both ends and get a bulletproof pitch more easily.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Just my two cents.

I believe that a hammock is more of a difference between sleeping cushion/comfort, for example: do you have a z-pad, neoair, bluepad, or hammock. The tarp versus tent is an issue of shelter from the elements. Usually, a tarp goes with a hammock and a tent goes with a neoair. You can camp without any shelter and you can camp without any pad - either is uncomfortable most of the time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    As a relatively new guy to hangin i made the switch because , as Hawkeye said," i don't want to be crawlin on all fours any more".
    I too have a slight aversion to seeing the all enclosed hammock, ascetically its not pleasing to my eye, but who cares. If your in sh*t weather you've got to be practical and winter type tarps and beaks are just that. Like someone else said, you've got the flexibility to open it all up in good weather , COOL
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The tent is nothing more than the natural (skewed) evolution of the tarp. long before there were tents there were tarps and they were used in some pretty tough conditions. Tents are just tarps with poles designed to be pitched the same way every time.

So, by using tarps, even enclosed tarps, we are not abandoning our camping roots, but rather, returning to them.

to answer the original question, "Are we becoming tent campers"? My answer would be no, we are just rediscovering all the many attributes of the beautifully simplistic (and highly adaptable) tarp.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    This is a great conversation. Enjoying seeing people's perspectives.

I can't believe Pak-Man even dug up my old quote about "the beautiful simplicity of a hammock..."
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    This is a great conversation. Enjoying seeing people's perspectives.

I can't believe Pak-Man even dug up my old quote about "the beautiful simplicity of a hammock..."

What can I say, it really made an impact on me when I read it months ago. Since then I have been striving to have a less complicated backpacking experience.

Once agian, thank you for the conversation.

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Are we becoming tent campers? Not as much as we are just extending our camping season in to more extreme temperatures, conditions, and locations which only a fool would go into unprepared (without a large tarp). But then again that's coming from a guy who has a 14x10 tarp and wouldn't have anything else

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.1 Single Layer
    Tarp
    BWD WinterDream
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ & Syn TQ
    Suspension
    2mm Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For me, in the Pacific Northwest lowlands, most areas don't have much room to pitch a tent as the entire forest floor is covered with plant growth (not to mention is soaking wet much of the time). Hanging, regardless of the size/configuration of my tarp, opens up a much greater variety places I can sleep. I don't need a cleared area to sleep, just a few trees (Something that we are in no short supply of around here)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast