Ridgerunner / Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    12oz curls
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles

Frozen Head State Park late July / early August temps

I'm hopefully going for a hang at Frozen Head either end of this month or the first few weeks of August. Anybody know what the night time temps normally are this time of year? The Weather Channel shows it's upper 60's at night but that's within a couple degrees of Knoxville. I assumed it would be a bigger difference than that. Any insight would be appreciated!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    With the added elevation it will be cooler but by how much is hard to say. This area looks beautiful so please report back and give us a good trip report. Which trails are you considering?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner / Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    12oz curls
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    Well this time I'll be staying in the campground & doing some hiking over the weekend. Not sure what trails yet but I definitely want to get to some of the waterfalls. I've never actually done the backcountry camping before but hopefully that will change soon. But until I get all the gear I need the campground will have to be home. And I'll definitely try to get some good pics, this will be my first time there but it definitely looks like a sweet area

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    As its 30mins from my place I camp there a lot. Use Petros, Tn for weather and the campground is well down in the valley, not high on the ridges. If you want to try back country with minimal risk Judge Branch is a trail that's a 10 min easy walk, sits on a nice creek, lots of tree options, and has bathroom/shower at the parking lot/trail head. It is also free. If it is a weekend let me know and I will be happy to join ya!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner / Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    12oz curls
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    Thanks Myk. I had actually thought Judge Branch would probably be a good test area since it looked somewhat close to the trail head. But I still need to get some more gear before I can even get that far from the truck. I only had one backpack & it finally gave out so all I have now are a couple duffel bags, probably not optimal! Also need to make, or get, a small alcohol stove, really don't think I want to haul the Coleman down a trail! Unfortunately my boss won't give me a raise for camping gear so I have to piece it together when I can.
    But I'll definitely keep you updated, I'd love to be able to hang out & see how the pros do it! And it's not even a definite trip yet, depends how the work schedule turns out. But I'll definitely keep you in the loop.
    Thanks for the info guys

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have 2 extra backpacks, 2 Msr micro rockets, etc. How many are going? Lol

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I love Frozen Head. I was there in early December and I think I had the whole area to myself. Well myself and the coyotes that were chasing something down and eating it.
    Park yourself at the campground way down in the valley and enjoy some hiking. Do NOT take the trail back of the ranger welcome station. Straight up, it teases you with a down slope and a great stream then its like up and up and then straight up. Great views at the top though.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    The last 4 times I backpacker there I was the only registered person in the back country. I camp solo a lot so its kind off odd to find myself having regular conversation with owls, etc. Lol
    I understand Chimney Tops (behind ranger) is brutal but the loop from the campground north more-so. Need to try them both.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Frozen Head has always been one of my favorite places. It's usually not crowded. Nighttime temp is usually the same as knoxville but a few degrees cooler unless you have a weather front coming in. Weather can change rapidly and can be brutal on the ridgeline at the chimney tops or at mart fields. Mart Fields is one of the best campsites in my opinion.

Hammock
    DIY channel end
    Tarp
    Diy Winter12
    Insulation
    DIY top/underquilt
    Suspension
    Mule tape/whoopies
    If your interested, I live in blount county and Frozen Head is just 45 minutes or so from me and I'd love to meet some local hangers. I'd be interested in going if ya don't mind a young diyer trailing along. What gear are you lacking? I have two older backpacks and one that I just made. (still working on kinks). I've got plenty of extra hammock gear if that's what you are lacking. Let me know. Im getting ready to start medic school in the coming weeks so my schedule is probably gonna be packed but if I can swing it, I will. (pun intended)

• + New Posts