Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pros and cons please.

I'm a NB looking at getting my first hammock. I'm 6'2 and a shrinking 290 . This is going to be used with the boy scout weekend trips, week long summer camps and the high adventures. Got a good 8yrs till all my boys are done with scouts so durability is key. I've watched most of Shug's hammock video. Love his videos, puts a smile on my face every time. Read a lot of the threads from this forum and have narrowed it down to these two hammocks. First hammock is a Hennessy Jungle Safari with either his tarp or something like the Kelty Noah 12. Second one is from Dream Hammock 11' sparrow that uses the 1.6 xl fabric,double bottom with the tie outs and both covers.
    Like them both but I do like DH better for the customization and being made here in the US.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have a sparrow. Pros: 1) super comfy. 2) the 1.6 is very tough yet silky smooth to sleep on. 3) customizable. 4) it's a dream hammock. Cons: haven't found any yet.
    waiver: I have no experience with Hennessy.

Randy and company at Dream Hammock are wonderful people to deal with. They'll answer every question and ensure you get the right stuff for your build.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Also look at the BlackBirds from Warbonnet. That shelf system is nice
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Thank you, the only buzz kill would be the wife on funds but will cross that bridge when the time comes.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    IMHO, buy once, cry once, and get the Dream Hammock.

I bought my daughter a Hennessy Cub Zip for her first hammock, and it was actually an incredible value. It's essentially a 9-foot version of one of their entry-level single-layer zippered asym hammocks rated for up to 120 pounds, and it's actually quite nice. I got the complete hammock with suspension, integrated bug net, and 11-foot 30D coated poly asym tarp on sale for $60 -- delivered! I bought some whoopie slings to install on it, and replaced the tarp with a lightweight sil-nylon model I already had, and now she's set!

That said, when she outgrows it I know I will get her a US-made cottage vendor hammock, most likely a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair just like mine. When I was looking for a top-quality integrated-net hang, the Dream Hammock Darien was a close second to the SLD upon which I finally decided, and I still consider the DH a highly desirable hang for all of the reasons JmBoh mentioned....

If you are a person who likes customization and personalization, Dream Hammock is most definitely your jam.

While certainly quite bombproof, I don't personally think the "big boy" HHs offer the same performance and value for the money spent as many of the popular cottage vendor brands. I still think they are quite a respectable hammock though, and if every Hennessy cost the same as the Cub, it would be a different story, of course...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-14-2016 at 15:36.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have had Hennessy Hammocks and a Dream Hammock (Thunder Bird), I was very happy with the way I was treated by Dream Hammock. They were helpful, thoughtful and the after sale help was excellent. My experience with Dream Hammock was A+.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    You're at opposite ends of the spectrum there, in my opinion. The fact that you've narrowed it down to those two leads me to believe you'd be much better off with a less expensive hammock to start, and yes those can be made in the USA too. In my opinion, you have a lot to learn about hanging before you break the bank on a high end hammock. My go to, after quite a few makes and models, hammock is 1.6 Argon. Having tried Hexon recently I think I may like that fabric even better. I see a new SLD Streamliner in that fabric in my near future, for a whole lot less than a sparrow!

Getting into trouble with the wife over the money is another reason to start out less expensively. Have you been spent a couple nights in a hammock yet?? Are you right lay or left? Do you prefer wide fabric, or is the usual 60" plenty for you? Do you like a lot of stretch in the fabric, or minimal? 11' at your height most likely, but are you more comfortable with a 72" wide 10'?

Kitsapcowboy somewhat makes my point for me. Ended up spending less money an a US made hammock and is happy enough with it that daughter's first "adult" hammock will be the same.

Not sure on the lay for sure was thinking on right lay. The only hammock I have used and briefly was a eno. The eno was way to small as one would guess. Wanted the integrated bug net for the mosquitoes here in the midwest. Will have to re evaluate the SLD trail liar.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    If this is any indication, I have used a Hennessy Explorer for the last three years but am now awaiting a DH Sparrow myself. The Hennessy has done well and gotten me into hammocking but I need more length and definitely width at 6'6" 250. I got an 11' with the 72" wide Hyper D XL. I can't wait to see how comfortable it will be. Here's my order: http://www.dream-hammock.com/current...tml?order=3865

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Atlas
    I started with a Hennessey Explorer deluxe. I really liked it but it was a little on the heavy side and always felt like it was a just a little too short for me (I'm 6'1"). I went to a Dream Hammock 11' Roaming Gnome (which they no longer make..??) and I love it. It was like going from a Kia to a Lexus ;-) I have also added a Darien ultra light (which they also no longer make...) that I bought lightly used from another forum member since then and they are both super comfortable.

I like my Hennessey and have no regrets from that purchase but if I had to do it again, I would definitely go with the dream hammock, especially for someone over 6ft tall.

Whichever way you decide to go, be aware that there is no turning back...hammocking is very addictive and as far as I know, they haven't come up with a 12 step program yet...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast