DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    Hey Shug,
    ya know, I watched this video several times and finally it came to me that Drumming-Shug looks alot like the nutcracker figurine on the top of my mantle piece over my fireplace....yep definitely looks like a Nutcracker. Can you crack walnuts in your mouth?
    The give-away was those big red rosy cheeks
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ / SS TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    This is not good...

Nor is it great...

I really don't know what happened...

Or what to say...

Wait....I got it!

Totally Awesome!!! Watched more than a dozen times and still going back...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Outstanding! Superior Shug Production Video!!!!
    Last edited by 41vi4; 12-19-2009 at 07:51.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    McGoo, you've done it again!
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    Looks like a sweet system ya had set up there! I love that TQ. Looking to get out of bags and try a TQ instead. I wonder if I could sneak one past the wife...
    Merry Christmas sir!
    I was a bag guy but once ya' go TQ ....... you will be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Shug! a Warbonnet Top Quilt??????????? What? When? You get all the coveted stuff!!

so video cameras work at -2F, good to know.

Is there a glue that will adhere a patch/ring to a Speer Winter Tarp for pullouts??? There has to be something instead of sewing and sewing and sewing around and around and around in that circle---grip clips? OK they work I know but I like what you done for permanence.

Winter yeti to -2F INCREDIBLE...I'd add an expletive to show shock and awe but this is a family forum but still -2F with the Winter Yeti! Truly remarkable...I've gone to 17F with a Winter Yeti but can't imagine -2F,,,,,,you sure you had nothing else under you???

As always a wonderful video. You and Prof. Grizz are truly the masters....the iron chefs of hammockdom for sure.
    I got lucky on the TQ ... just a prototype and Brandon saw I had no TQ in my vids and offered at a steal of a price. Yea videos!!!
    Yes.. a camera will work but keep it warm and in a pocket when not filming....
    I don't think there is a glue strong enough. Sewing ain't too bad. The first one is always the hardest.
    No pad under me in my winter yeti ...but it is an over-stuffed one!

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Once again great video Shug, always informational and entertaining.
    Keep 'em coming.

Merry Christmas.
    Back atcha Red......

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I've got them temps above 0 degrees blues...I get my cold fix looking at shug winter videos! You can take the boy out of Minnesota, but you can't get the Minnesota out of the boy.

That is an awesome looking top quilt. Awesome!

Enjoyed that 8 minutes. 'specially as I know what work goes into put it all together. Thanks.

Grizz
    I feel TQ envy on here.........
    Thank you Grizz...

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Shug,
    Thanks for sharing your time, knowledge, experiments and especially your goofiness! I believe the Southern blood in ya done turned blue. But we still love ya!
    Haaaa..... Well born in Ireland .... raised in the South ..... living in Minnesota ...... 8 years in NYC ..... I am so mixed and confused......

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Thanks for boosting my winter courage, Shug. From out here, a Native Son of the Golden West salutes you. I'm heading into my back yard tonight with le merle avec tous les accessoires for a bitter night. Fleece upon fleece, down over down, socksies on toesies, cap wraps and bunny suit...my goodness, its gonna get down to 50 degrees tonight---bitter I know, but thanks to your video and example, I'm bucked.
    Winter .... do not fear it. Embrace that cool cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    Hey Shug,
    ya know, I watched this video several times and finally it came to me that Drumming-Shug looks alot like the nutcracker figurine on the top of my mantle piece over my fireplace....yep definitely looks like a Nutcracker. Can you crack walnuts in your mouth?
    Keep an eye on that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by 41vi4 View Post
    This is not good...

Nor is it great...

I really don't know what happened...

Or what to say...

Wait....I got it!

Totally Awesome!!! Watched more than a dozen times and still going back...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Outstanding! Superior Shug Production Video!!!!
    wow .... I blush.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    McGoo, you've done it again!
    What did I do? .....
    Oh. Thankee
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I got lucky on the TQ ... just a prototype and Brandon saw I had no TQ in my vids and offered at a steal of a price. Yea videos!!!
    What the F***!
    A Warbonnet TQ
    Specs, i want specs.
    BRANDON, i want one too.
    Great video, especially the drumming part.
    My neighbors thinks i am nuts , yours must be loving you

**** that Minnesota coldness , i was out last night and had only 6.8 F.
    Slept like a baby!

Setup:
    • Mac Cat Standard
    • Nano hammock
    • Winter Yeti
    • WM Caribou together with a Golite Ultra TQ.
    • Black rock hat
    • No name Pad under feet.
    • wool underwear

I try to sleep as open as i can.
    I had nothing over my mouth.
    No condensation, no moister, no ice.

Let the winter coldness come .

Sector 9 is pretty quite
    Last edited by moski; 12-20-2009 at 03:30.
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Shug, Good assessment and good intertainment. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Really enjoyed that video Shug. Along with Griz's new "beak" vid, it has been a great week or two for videos!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I was a bag guy but once ya' go TQ ....... you will be surprised.

I got lucky on the TQ ... ........
    I agree a bag can seem like such a PITA once you are used to a good quilt. I have been playing around with them again recently. Although, if you have a dry place to stand on and put the bag on and hood over your head before getting in the hammock, then even just zip up most of the way, it is not really much trouble. And so draft free!

But I have just been reminded that there is one sleeping bag which is a real exception to the PITA rule: The Speer Pea Pod! After all, it is nothing more than a sleeping bag optimized for a hammock. And yet, it get's rid of all the bag/hammock problems while maintaining almost all of the benefits. Unless warm air escapes out of the breathing hole (easily avoided if I even bother with a breathing hole), drafts are never an issue no matter how much I move. Of course, a TQ might still be part of the system. I can't imagine ever bothering with a bag inside the pod(bag). It would be pretty redundant.

But, speaking of TQs: man, that WB TQ looks REALLY SWEET! What kind of loft does that thing have? I think I love it!

That winter Yeti doesn't look too shabby, either!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-19-2009 at 23:14.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    As the temps in southern IL were getting into the low 20's shug I was really looking forward to testing the warbonnet BB I know what it takes to do cold weather in the clark but have not had the chance to test the other. Well here is where it goes south. I got a call last week that I was going to come down to corpus Christi for work for 6 weeks then this past week i get a call telling me I have to be here this week so here I am and the weather is not cold at all.

So when I got on tonight first time in three day i see you have new video and click on it and again am amazed at the things your trying and start spinning my head around thinking what is next for me.

You sure do a fine job doing those video's and enjoy watching everyone of them and some more times than i can think of.

happy holidays Shug I will be making good money because I will be working Xmas and new years but hey think of what I can by when I get home. well i will continue to watch your vids as long as you make them

thanks again

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great addition to the community, Shug! I remember several years ago at one of Ed's Hot Springs Hangs someone had the idea of making videos like these b/c all we had were some pics on Yahoo...and now a few of you have turned videos into an art form!! Much better way to show how things work. Good on ya!

Someday we'll have to get all the winter hammockers together for a trip up to see Turk or something.

Always love the outtakes, too. You are truly a goofball in the most honorary sense of the term.

WHOOOOOOOO BUDDY....KEEEEEEEP 'em comin'!!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    =moski;183412]What the F***!
    A Warbonnet TQ
    Specs, i want specs.
    BRANDON, i want one too.
    Great video, especially the drumming part.
    My neighbors thinks i am nuts , yours must be loving you
    I got lucky on the TQ .... overstuffed and warm. Don't have specs off-hand but I will weigh it. I don't care about weights so much in winter .... I want to sleep warmly.
    My neighbors expect madness! Luckily I have terrific neighbors but I invite them to parties, shovel their walks from time to time and leave them gifts for their tolerance!!!

**** that Minnesota coldness , i was out last night and had only 6.8 F.
    Slept like a baby!
    Setup:
    • Mac Cat Standard
    • Nano hammock
    • Winter Yeti
    • WM Caribou together with a Golite Ultra TQ.
    • Black rock hat
    • No name Pad under feet.
    • wool underwear

I try to sleep as open as i can.
    I had nothing over my mouth.
    No condensation, no moister, no ice.
    Let the winter coldness come .
    Sector 9 is pretty quite
    Toasty set-up. You must be a light breather.
    Wake sector 9 up .... get a drum!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Shug, Good assessment and good intertainment. Mule
    'Preciate it Mule. Fun just goofing in the back 40!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Really enjoyed that video Shug. Along with Griz's new "beak" vid, it has been a great week or two for videos!

I agree a bag can seem like such a PITA once you are used to a good quilt. I have been playing around with them again recently. Although, if you have a dry place to stand on and put the bag on and hood over your head before getting in the hammock, then even just zip up most of the way, it is not really much trouble. And so draft free!

But I have just been reminded that there is one sleeping bag which is a real exception to the PITA rule: The Speer Pea Pod! After all, it is nothing more than a sleeping bag optimized for a hammock. And yet, it get's rid of all the bag/hammock problems while maintaining almost all of the benefits. Unless warm air escapes out of the breathing hole (easily avoided if I even bother with a breathing hole), drafts are never an issue no matter how much I move. Of course, a TQ might still be part of the system. I can't imagine ever bothering with a bag inside the pod(bag). It would be pretty redundant.

But, speaking of TQs: man, that WB TQ looks REALLY SWEET! What kind of loft does that thing have? I think I love it!

That winter Yeti doesn't look too shabby, either!
    You are the PP man! I kinda look at my WM 20º Alpinlite and miss it .... and my REI 0º bag. They miss me too.
    The TQ is a winner...... and the Winter Yeti.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    As the temps in southern IL were getting into the low 20's shug I was really looking forward to testing the warbonnet BB I know what it takes to do cold weather in the clark but have not had the chance to test the other. Well here is where it goes south. I got a call last week that I was going to come down to corpus Christi for work for 6 weeks then this past week i get a call telling me I have to be here this week so here I am and the weather is not cold at all.

So when I got on tonight first time in three day i see you have new video and click on it and again am amazed at the things your trying and start spinning my head around thinking what is next for me.

You sure do a fine job doing those video's and enjoy watching everyone of them and some more times than i can think of.

happy holidays Shug I will be making good money because I will be working Xmas and new years but hey think of what I can by when I get home. well i will continue to watch your vids as long as you make them

thanks again
    I jave worked on Christmas ... kinda tough but good to make the $$$ ..... mo' gear! Or ... pay bills.
    Thank you for the thoughts on my videos. It is a learning process for me and a lot of fun. Plus it is gear practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Great addition to the community, Shug! I remember several years ago at one of Ed's Hot Springs Hangs someone had the idea of making videos like these b/c all we had were some pics on Yahoo...and now a few of you have turned videos into an art form!! Much better way to show how things work. Good on ya!

Someday we'll have to get all the winter hammockers together for a trip up to see Turk or something.

Always love the outtakes, too. You are truly a goofball in the most honorary sense of the term.

WHOOOOOOOO BUDDY....KEEEEEEEP 'em comin'!!
    Jeff .... it means a lot coming from you as you and that website of yours drew me in!!!! It has added to my life.
    A serious winter hang .... I love it.
    Many thanks for accepting my goofballiness!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast