Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sewing Machine Question

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about buying a used sewing machine and/or what are the basic stitches to master for doing a lot of UL gear, repairs to duck canvas, webbing attachments, etc.

I don't have any intentions of doing any ornamental crafting type projects. I see a lot of sewing machines on Craigslist but I am always afraid to pull the trigger because I don't know how to spot something that will meet my needs (and allow me to grow my skills). Like I said, I am mostly doing UL backpacking and backpacking (frame bag) type projects.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Hennessey Scout
    Tarp
    12 foot sil tarp
    Insulation
    3.6 oz climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Most sewing machines will work. The key to good projects when sewing is good thread and proper tensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But that is .0001 ounces heavier😓.
    -Chris

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Find a good old mechanical machine if you have to sew webbing. Most machines can do it but they are not made for it and you won’t get any warning before its too late and the machine is damaged. The common household machine is made for 2-4 layers of cotton or similar but there is a huge difference to webbing.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    I have a Brother HC1850. I use a straight switch and a tight zig zag type switch. It seems to work okay. I'm just now getting into DIY. Happy sewing!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    various
    The old singer and similar age machines were made to sew almost anything, from light weight materials to making wool coats and pants. Most ware just straight stitchers. The later machines started using plastic gears and do zig zag and decorative stitches which took away some of the heavy duty sewing ability. Seems to be why the 201s are so sought after.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You can do most any gear making with a straight stitch. Zigzag is handy to have. Older metal machines are robust and easier to maintain and can be found fairly cheap. Try to find a working machine for $30 or less just to work with and learn on. Just get started and down the road you can get another machine.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    ...find a working machine for $30 or less just to work with and learn on. Just get started and down the road you can get another machine.
    Well said, Bubba. My first machine was $25 at Goodwill, and after probably six months, I destroyed it trying to sew through too many layers of webbing. My second machine is a Singer 15-90 I got from Craigslist for free. This hobby doesn't have to be expensive. Well, regarding the machines anyway. The space-age fabrics are another story.
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I picked up a 1903 White Family Rotary for $5 at a garage sale. Good old machine with tight tolerances on all the moving parts. Stitches straight and true non stop. The bobbin was rat's nested. I only had to turn the bobbin around. It was rotating the wrong direction.

My Singer 1507 was also a garage sale machine at $15. Picked it up for zig zag stitching.

I couldn't make the mechanical zig zag foot work on the white. I think it's missing a small part in the middle.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    If a used sewing machine has a "low gear" that would be a good sign in my opinion, indicating it's designed to sew through webbing, leather, etc. Not sure how many machines these days have a low gear, though.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 07-20-2016 at 22:33.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    You can certainly get by with straight stitch only. I have bought several machines at Goodwill, the most expensive being $20.00. (Some I resold for a profit after cleaning & oiling). My favorite is a circa 1952 Singer model 66 I got with a stand for $10.00. I bought a new stronger motor on eBay for $28.00 and am in love. Most machines are not broken or worn out in my experience, they just go unused and tighten up because they need oiling. Someone gets tired of hauling grandma's machine around and donate it.

Check out your local Goodwill frequently. Mine gives me a 10 day window to return the machine since it is their policy for any electronics. I'd try to find a pre-1980 machine to get more metal gears. A straight stitch and maybe a zig-zag will get you through virtually anything you'll need.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast