Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images

DIY SilArgon Tarp (2nd project)

It's been almost a year since my last tarp project, so I figured it was time to get my rear in gear. That, and I left my go-to hex tarp in the woods. This tarp was made using SilArgon and Diygearsupply's winter tarp plans. For those of you who have never used SilArgon, I'd recommend against it. It's not fun. I started with the asym tarp (project HERE) and decided to move on to bigger tarps if that worked out. In between work, the little one, working around the house, waiting for a few odds and ends to ship, and how terrible this stuff is to sew, this took me about 3 weeks to finish.

The specs:
    Material: Black SilArgon (I want to say it's 15d-20d, but I forget)
    Pullouts: 1/2" grosgrain reinforced with 200d ballistic nylon
    Suspension: Dutch CRL for the ridgeline and 1.75mm lash it with linelocs on all corners
    Ridgeline: 135"
    Width: 118" wide at the pullouts, 98" wide at the cat cuts, 1/8"-1/4" rolled hem all around
    Seam sealed the ridgeline

Final weight with suspension, seam sealing, and custom stuff sack: 17oz.

I haven't pitched it properly yet, just tested in the yard with some hiking poles, but here she is!
    5k5uBE8.jpg
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-16-2016 at 10:50.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up on the material. Looks like it will do the job though. In my book any diy project that functions as planned is a success.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    Well I guess it comes down to your perspective. I could have bought an oes tarp that weighs a few ounces less for over $100. I just saw a cuben tarp that weighed 9 oz sell here for $350. Outside of having to re-buy my ridgeline from the tarp I lost, I might have $50 in this tarp, and I'm very happy with it's 17oz bulk.

If I valued my time at, say, $20/hr, I'd be hands down better off with the cuben, and even the oes would be a no-brainer. However, it did give me a project to work on for a little while, and the outlay is very small (comparatively).

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    It's very nice! Did you cat cut the edges adjacent to the ridgeline, or only the bottom two?

Also, you left your tarp in the woods?? Bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    All edges except the inside edges of the doors (when hung) were cat cut as per here: (http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DIYGS-Winter-Tarp-lowres.jpg)

I happened to have a 7 foot-ish piece of 3/4 pvc laying around, so I cut slots in either end and threaded a piece of paracord through. Depending on where I tied the knots in the paracord, it allowed me to create different curves. I pulled the paracord tight enough so that the distance between the paracord and apex of the pvc pipe curve was 10". I used the full 10" on the main sides, and something like 4-5" on the cat cuts for the doors.

The loss of my Hennessy Hex will go down in history as a dark day. We were packing up to head out from our campsite, and the only thing I can figure is I folded it up and set it down, and it just never made it back into my pack. I'm actually more upset about the loss of my cordage than the actual tarp, since I would have reused the suspension with this tarp. As it is, I had to spend another $35 on a new setup!

Something I forgot to add above: This fabric is so slick, it slid right out of my rolled hem foot. Typically I detest pins and I will do anything I can to avoid them, but this stuff was so slippery I gave them a shot. I tried pins (failed), I tried clips (failed), I tried clothespins (failed). Everything I could think of to help me set up the rolled hem just wouldn't work (including super glue, which doesn't stick to the fabric). The only thing that worked was a glue stick. I laid down a strip of glue, folded once, then laid down the second strip, folded, and sewed. It took forever this way, but it's the only way I could get the proper hem.

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    All edges except the inside edges of the doors (when hung) were cat cut
    I'm sorry, I missed that it is a winter tarp. Very impressive.

...the only thing I can figure is I folded it up and set it down, and it just never made it back into my pack.
    Been there, man, I assure you. One time I ran four miles back to our prior campsite before dawn because we were headed out that day, and I was concerned about leaving my stuff behind as trash. It was gone when I got there. Who knows. Wilderness fairies, I guess.

Typically I detest pins and I will do anything I can to avoid them
    Yep. I just finished a tarp this week as well, and I've given into pinning. It always seems like a waste of time, but I'm always happier with the end product when I just give in and use lots of them. Anyway, great tarp. Hope it brings you many dry nights!
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

• + New Posts