Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The 30 Deg angle has nothing to do with a comfortable lay. It's about distributed stresses.

Comfort is what the ridge line is all about. That sets the slack.

I assume that you are hanging inside without a ridge line. That is quite reasonable because you are always hanging the with the same distances assuming you are using fixed lengths for your setup. If you want to maintain that comfort level and use the hammock on a hike add a ridge line while the hammock is hanging at home and you should find that as long as you hang with an angle that keeps some tension on that ridge line you will achieve the same comfort level. Be a bit careful as the flatter the anchor lines become the more tension will transfer to the ridge line.
I somewhat agree with this analysis.

Yes, the SRL sets the sag for the hammock, as long as it is not slack. So, yes, the SRL "sets' the hammock sag. As long as the SRL is not much more than 83% AND is not under excessive tension, the hang angle will result in forces of body weight or less being exerted on the trees.

I'd argue that the suspension and the SRL work in concert to establish both comfort and safe forces as long as the SRL is "tuned" to the appropriate length and has a slight amount of tension in it when the hammock is occupied.

So the SRL becomes a tool for consistently getting a good hang angle and a way to hold up a bug net and sundries if so desired.