DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Hammock geometry and 11 foot hammocks

I've been making a discovery. Now I know this is going to run counter to the usual advice, but here we go.

I just sewed up an 11 foot long gathered end hammock (using Dutch's Hexon 2.4). I began with 4 yards of material, and by the time I sewed channels in the ends and gathered it up, the whole rig measured laying on the floor is 11 feet end to end. Can't say enough good things about the Hexon 2.4, but that is another topic.

But what I have discovered is that I like things a lot better with a "deeper lay". In other words I am rigging the hammock to hang lower and I just measured the setup inside my room here and the support lines measure 40 degrees instead of 30. With a long hammock like this, I can lay flatter with the hammock hanging low and loose. Not only that, but it is easier to snug up the underquilt given that the points I attach it to (the ends of the hammock) are up higher relative to where I am laying. So what I am saying is that I am abandoning the classic 30 degree guideline and going with 40 for this long hammock.

Now I suspect this may have a lot to do with the extra length of the hammock, but I know a lot of folks are using 11 foot hammocks these days and was wondering if others have been coming to the same conclusion. My old tried and true hammock that started me in all this measures 9 foot 8 inches laid out on the floor. It has always done me well with the classic 30 degree setup, but I'll have to say that I like the 11 foot hammock a whole lot more.

Just for completeness, I'll mention that in the room where I am getting to like this so much, the support points are 17.5 feet apart and about 7 feet off the floor.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Going to take a stab at this one......most hammock materials have some "give" or stretch. Hexon 2.4 does not seem to stretch at all (at least mine doesn't).

Perhaps, where "depth of sag" is concerned, 30* with a material that stretches is equivalent to 40* with a material that does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Hammock geometry and 11 foot hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    Going to take a stab at this one......most hammock materials have some "give" or stretch. Hexon 2.4 does not seem to stretch at all (at least mine doesn't).

Perhaps, where "depth of sag" is concerned, 30* with a material that stretches is equivalent to 40* with a material that does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could be some truth to that. I really like my netless 11' Hex70 2.2. Hex70 is similar to Hexon 2.4 in stretch. I also find that I prefer more than 30* hang angles in this hammock, therefore I made my ridgeline 107" (vs a "normal" 110" or 83% for a 11' hammock). This keeps my RL from being floppy at my preferred hang angles with this hammock.
    I'm in that hammock right now enjoying the sound of the rain on my tarp.
    Last edited by Foxpoop; 07-17-2016 at 04:42.

Images
    Good to see your pupils are the same size again...

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Good to see your pupils are the same size again...
    Thanks. Nice to be able to see again!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The 30 Deg angle has nothing to do with a comfortable lay. It's about distributed stresses.

Comfort is what the ridge line is all about. That sets the slack.

I assume that you are hanging inside without a ridge line. That is quite reasonable because you are always hanging the with the same distances assuming you are using fixed lengths for your setup. If you want to maintain that comfort level and use the hammock on a hike add a ridge line while the hammock is hanging at home and you should find that as long as you hang with an angle that keeps some tension on that ridge line you will achieve the same comfort level. Be a bit careful as the flatter the anchor lines become the more tension will transfer to the ridge line.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Nothermark hit it. 30* is for suspension to keep the forces on the trees equal to your body weight. This means a 200 lb person would put 200 lbs of lateral force on the left tree and 200 lbs on the right tree.

Adding a SRL will keep your 40* preferred hammock sag angle no matter the suspension hang angle. Just try to keep the suspension around or greater than 30*.

I believe the large Brazilian hammocks also do better at 40*. Just remember that means a higher attachment point and needing a higher hung tarp for camping.
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 07-17-2016 at 19:09.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    The 30 Deg angle has nothing to do with a comfortable lay. It's about distributed stresses.

Comfort is what the ridge line is all about. That sets the slack.

I assume that you are hanging inside without a ridge line. That is quite reasonable because you are always hanging the with the same distances assuming you are using fixed lengths for your setup. If you want to maintain that comfort level and use the hammock on a hike add a ridge line while the hammock is hanging at home and you should find that as long as you hang with an angle that keeps some tension on that ridge line you will achieve the same comfort level. Be a bit careful as the flatter the anchor lines become the more tension will transfer to the ridge line.
    Bingo! Yes you have nailed it left right and center here. I am indeed hanging inside without a ridgeline. And as I am typing this, I dug out my ridgeline that I set up to use with this hammock, and lo and behold .... it clips on just right! No slack and no need to pull on the hammock to clip it on (it attaches using S-biners). I measure it at 121 inches, and a 11 foot hammock is 132 inches, so it comes in at 91 percent of the hammock length (rather longer than the oft cited 83 percent guide, which would be a 110 inch ridgeline. Hmmm.- well I'm not going to argue with success and it is interesting to examine all of this. However, this indicates that a shorter ridgeline (closer to the recommended 83 percent) would yield an even deeper sag and more comfort. It could be something to experiment with.

Your point is well taken though. The ridgeline establishes a predetermined amount of sag and comfort, then it is a question of setting up the rest of the system (and the line angles) to avoid excess stress. A deeper angle with the attachment lines is fine (but will require anchor points high up on widely spaced trees. A shallower angle will start to generate some undesirable forces.

Update: After laying in the hammock and fiddling some, I shortened the ridgeline to 114 inches, which is 86 percent. This seems good.
    Last edited by Tucson Tom; 07-17-2016 at 17:52.

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    I've had the same experience with a Dutch 11' netless wide and an AHE 11' with an 83% SRL Very comfortable lay and very flat. Also about 40 deg on suspensions as well. This really works great for me.

Thanks for the discussion.

I think I am with you on this. Have you tried 12' with even more slack?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast