G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If your gear is dripping wet, set-up your tarp to find a safe haven. Remove wet gear and wring it out, then put on on your best, and hopefully driest base layer. I'm hoping you have appropriate rain gear to avoid getting everything wet, but this could happen, so its a good scenario. A tipped canoe or slipping during a river crossing, etc.

Stay active to generate body heat. A dry bag or two for your clothes and sleep gear is highly recommended, for just such unforeseen scenarios. Eating a quick warm meal and warm drink does wonders for the body.

If you have a set of hiking poles, or find some suitable sticks, you could fashion up a clothesline to one side of your hammock. But if your wringing out the gear good, you should be able to go with the ridgeline.

My fleece and polypro clothes dry out really fast, so makes sure your choosing good clothing to carry. Stay away from cotton, it takes forever to dry and offers very little insulation value.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    CONFESSION . . .

Ok, I was all set, gear ready to go, and then we got a break in the rain. Checking the weather online we were not expecting rain again for a few more hours (12:00 am) and then rain was expected to be over by 3:00 am. Not exactly what I was hoping for. THEN, seeing all the snow that was being dumped on NC, the wife talked me into taking our two girls to a ski resort to go play in the snow.

. . . So, hanging got put off. But I am looking forward to setting up in the cold rain and will experiment with a secondary clothesline. FWIW . . . I do have synthetic clothing appropriate for cold-weather backpacking, raingear, etc. I have a thought of adding a clothes line, tying the ends on the tarp ridgeline just outside the tarp and then finding a way to pull the clothesline to one side of the hammock. Experimentation will soon follow . . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    a buddy of mine made a simple gathered end gear hammock that was smaller than his sleeping hammock and put the gear hammock directly under him. He had to raise his sleeping hammock a tad higher than normal, but it worked great for him.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12