Drooling at the WBBB
    Tarp
    Wanting Superfly
    Insulation
    Will use Themarest
    Suspension
    will adjustableweb

I'm switching over.

I'm pretty sure that an easier way to save weight is to go with a HH Ultralight Backpacking A-Sym rather than sleeping in a bivy that is predicted to be too small for me by the time i'm 18, right? So, any input on the hammock? (haven't purchased yet, but I will buy soon.)

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome to the forum and to hanging in trees!
    I don't have an Ultralight Backpacker but I do have a HH Expedition. It's well made and sleeps nice and flat. So I gave it to my wife when I got a Warbonnet Blackbird! Before you buy, research different styles of hammocks (bridge, gathered end, HAAB, with bugnet attached, with bugnet not attached,etc) and also your intended use (mainly FL, in mountains, buggy areas, summer, winter, fall & spring, backpacking, car camping, etc) and try to match the style and model hammock to your needs. The Ultralight Backpacker is made for a specific purpose - backpacking long distances. To achieve weight savings, it is smaller than other hammocks that may be more comfortable and durable. Unless you are doing mostly long distance backpacking, you may want to look at other hammocks. Note also that a lot of folks start with a HH (it is a good hammock) but move on eventually. And the bottom entry can get old after a while and then you have to have 2Q/ZQ put in zippers on the netting.

My $.02.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    My $0.02 adds up to this, I bought a HH ULBA first, tried it, a lot, spent a couple nights in it and hours and hours hanging at my house. After about 2 months it went back to REI. I traded in for a Warbonnet Black Bird. I liked the idea of the HH better than the comfort. Having a full kit appealed to me but I could just not get comfortable. I am well under the max ratings for the ULBA so that was not the issue - 5'-7" about 160 pounds. It just did not suite me. The BB is a lot more comfortable, lots more room, and I like the shelf better than the ridge-line bag thing. The opening thing was OK but not great, I don't like to stoop over to fiddle with my quilts, taking stuff in and out of the hammock, and the ridge line of the hammock bugged me when using it as a chair, hit me right in the back of the head, and would soon be bugging me. I like that when I have a question I can email the guy that makes the gear (here in the US by the way.) And for me it is far more comfortable.

If you are going to be to big for a bivy you will likely find the smaller Hennessy to be a bit cramped as well, if you can look at the larger Hennessy line or the Warbonnet line as there is a big difference in space inside.

Just my 2 cents though.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Started with an Hennessy few years ago, moved to the Blackbird last year. Still nested in the Blackbird. No reason to move on yet.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I hung in a HH for three years, then this fall switched to a Speer III. I knew it was smaller, but I did not expect it to be more comfortable, and easier to change positions. Basically, the HH offered me one option: sleep on my back. Amazingly, the smaller Speer affords me every position except on my belly.

I'd shop around a bit before buying a HH. There's lots of choices now!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I have 3 of the Hennessys. at first the novelty of getting in through the bottom was cool, but it got old quick. I have since had the #3 zipper mod done to all three and my relationship (with my Hennessys) is much stronger now.

As far as the Ultralight Backpacker Asm, I can't speak of ,but my Desert Rat is pretty similar to it.

Sleep comfort ,I am very happy in the Expeditions and the Desert Rat, side sleeping, rolling, getting in and out of a sleeping bag is not an issue with me.

Good luck,
    Last edited by Randy; 12-19-2009 at 09:57.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome david@hammockforums (please note your new name!!)

Take some time and do some research here to find all your options. Hammocks come in a variety of makes and styles, each of interest and meeting some peoples needs more than others. Tarps fall under this same category, not a one size fits all criteria.

Try to get to a group hang or organize a state get together. Check out whats out there. Do it yourself hammocks and tarps are a great way to go, as well.

welcome, david@hammockforums, welcome.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    David - once you look at the whole system, a hammock setup weighs about the same as a comparable ground setup...it's just a lot more comfortable. For example, a Hennessy weighs less than a standard double-walled tent, but about the same as a tarptent with bug netting. Plus you need a bit extra to keep you warm on bottom unless nighttime temps are above 70-75F...so in the end the weight balances out. BUT...and it's a big but...you'll probably sleep so much better that even a few extra ounces will be worth it simply b/c you have the energy to carry it the next day, no sore spots, etc.

HH is a decent starter system. Like others have said, check out the other options as well. Other popular options include Warbonnet Blackbird, Jacksrbetter's Bear Mountain Bridge, Speer Hammocks, Clark, Eagle's Nest Outfitters (ENO), etc.

If you want some starter info on hammocking, check here:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

There's not much, if any, weight savings from bivy camping but...wow!...the benefits. Comfort, more weather 'proof', comfort, bug proof, comfort, convenient/easy to find campsites,...did I mention comfort?

It takes a little longer to find what sleep system works to keep you warm but it's not a big deal. In fact, that's where I found my weight savings.

FB

Hammock
    Drooling at the WBBB
    Tarp
    Wanting Superfly
    Insulation
    Will use Themarest
    Suspension
    will adjustableweb
    Ok, I get what all of you are saying, but if anyone can give me any more info on different manufacturers and links to where they're hanging out on the web it would be appreciated. Sidestory, For years, my display name has been maximus, after entering the commonities where maximus was taken, I chose Max2mus. Then, after joining Whiteblaze(.net) people referenced to me in short as Max. Finding this name not to fit my name as given to me by my parents, I chose David@Whiteblaze and joined Hammock forums to acquire information about hammocks. Sidestory time has now ended.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast