Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

PeaPod/PolarPod Too Hot in Summer?

I am considering getting a PeaPod or PolarPod. Would these be too hot to use in Summer at temps maybe as high as a low of 50F? I'm looking for a 4 season solution. I'd also like to avoid using a top quilt or blanket along with it, to keep weight down. So my question is: how well can you regulate a Pod during warmer weather by simply zipping it open?

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I use only a 20 degree top quilt when it's warm and have no problem. And by warm, I mean down into the 50s. Don't yet have a UQ, but an inflatable pad has gotten me below freezing. A four season solution doesn't really exist. The sooner you get over that, the better.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    And for the record I would bet dollars to donuts that, yes, it will be uncomfortably hot. Unless you would enjoy the sensation of sleeping on the surface of the sun.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #3008
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    WL 20* Full UQ
    Suspension
    DW 8' Tree Huggers
    I used a Western Mountaineering MityLite 40* sleeping bag as a PeaPod (it has two sets of zippers so I can "thread" the hammock through the middle of the sleeping bag. Keeping warm with it requires that you make sure the opening around your head and shoulders stays tight otherwise cold air will get inside the bag between the hammock. Anywhere your body touches the hammock will then get cold. But you can also loosen it up and allow a little air to get in if you get too hot. I have used this setup down to 40*, but it starts getting a bit warm over 60* at night. If it is going to be that mild, I usually just use a lightweight fleece blanket to keep from getting chilled.

I have since purchased a 20* UQ and now use the sleeping bag as a TQ until I can afford to purchase a new TQ.
    I am a 28 year-old trapped in a 62 year-old body!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    .........A four season solution doesn't really exist. The sooner you get over that, the better........
    This!!

My understanding of the pods, through numerous emails with treetotrailgear, is that they work quite well at or below their temp ratings (somewhere on the south side of 0* for the polar pod). Why would you want to carry a fairly large 20* setup in much warmer weather anyways?? You'd be MUCH better of with a couple differently rated TQ's and one UQ, in my opinion.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    This!!

My understanding of the pods, through numerous emails with treetotrailgear, is that they work quite well at or below their temp ratings (somewhere on the south side of 0* for the polar pod). Why would you want to carry a fairly large 20* setup in much warmer weather anyways?? You'd be MUCH better of with a couple differently rated TQ's and one UQ, in my opinion.
    I agree with goobie, I have a 20* HGUQ that I have comfortably used to mid 60's. I used a Macy's down throw (which i would rate to a 50*) as a TQ, I am a cold sleeper. I would say a pod is a good idea for below freezing temps but during the hot summer time you need a different set up as billy goat mentioned.

• + New Posts