DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    this all finally makes sense but i would like to ask a follow up question. could someone make a hammock with a foot box that does effect the lay. this would most likely mean adding fabric to the hammock like sewing a large triangle onto one end of the rectangular piece of fabric that is the body but not incorporating this triangle into the whipping. and attaching side walls. hmm could this work? any thoughts?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Images
    don't think that will work. the only reason any of the fabric supports any weight is because it's tied into the whipping. also, putting your feet or whatever beyond the edge of the hammock body would cause discomfort

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the shape the edge of the traveler hammock fabric assumes when your feet are laying against the edge (foot area) is the same shape the edge of the hammock body takes in the bb.
    So isn't that the difference, in the BB the shortened right top edge causes the fabric to fold as if I was pushing it apart with the weight of my feet. But it is folded like that already. So actually, the shortened "top edge" AND the weight of my feet are both contributing to the flatter lay, not to mention that putting a pad or topquilt in the hammock it is already in the optimal position. Finally it makes the entry side effectively longer than the non-entry side which improves both entry and sitting comfort in my opinion.

In my DIY hammock my upper torso weight easily pushes out the entry side of the hammock causing the flat lay, but my feet don't weigh nearly as much, so my guess is that a Free Bird would be even better. I will try the grip clip mod to simulate this, and see how the lay is effected.

my gut sense is that it actually would make a difference in the Free Bird but perhaps not a whole lot more than a traveler with the same whipping (which also makes a huge difference in the comfort of the warbonnet hammocks)

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Interesting discussion which has answered a question I've been thinking about.

I've been wondering if there is really any difference in the various non-netted hammocks in how it feels to lay in them . I've been wondering if the Traveler is as comfortable to lay in as the BB. Since it lacks the footbox and shelf. Seems the answer is yes.

That the only reason the footbox is built into the BB is because of the restriction in the foot area due to the netting. With out the net the footbox is not needed. With out the net the shelf wouldn't work as well yet without the net other means can be used to store stuff.

So it sounds like if I want a lighter, less costly hammock I might like the Traveler over other non-netted hammocks because of the way it's sewn it still has a different lay from other types of non-net hammocks. Seems it is much the same as the BB as far as how it fells to lay in it. So what's not to like just the way it is ? I work doing field service repairs and the old cliche is 'if ain't broke don't fix it.' Sounds to me like it ain't broke.

So would folks agree that the WB Traveler has a different lay compared to ENO, Treklight, Speer etc. ? Or are they all about the same? With the only difference being the fabric and color choices.

D

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpenguin View Post
    So isn't that the difference, in the BB the shortened right top edge causes the fabric to fold as if I was pushing it apart with the weight of my feet. But it is folded like that already.

no, the edge of the hammock fabric would take that same shape when you put your feet against the edge weather there is fabric above them or not, the "shortened right top edge" isn't really shortened, it's the length it needs to be to not have any slack in it (the edge). it's not under any tension, it doesn't support any weight. if you shortened it so it did take tension, it would only lift the hammock fabric/edge making things less flat, not more.

for instance, if you were laying in the bb, and someone came along with a pair of scissors and cut out the footbox while you were laying there, you're feet wouldn't move, they would remain in the exact same spot.

it only has relavence on a netted hammock, and on a netted hammock it does alot of good, but only on a netted hammock.

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images

I agree!

I agree 100% that the footbox does nothing but keeps your stuff from falling out without the bug net. But I made me another Freebird today just for fun. I made the pocket smaller and dont plan on putting any tie outs on it. I also had the footbox twice as big and cut it down becasue it made the wall much taller. I plan on ordering me a real BB soon! 1.1 single layer. Hey Brandon black would be cool. Is that possible? I will order tonight! Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In the beginning, God created wilderness..and it was good. Lamar Marshall- Bankhead Warrior
    Getting old is not for sissies! My mother in law Opal!
    It's me It's me It's Mr.T

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I like the reduced size footbox & pocket. Going to add same to my latest creation.

Nice material. Where'd you get it?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I like the reduced size footbox & pocket. Going to add same to my latest creation.

Nice material. Where'd you get it?
    Thanks! Walmart in the $1.50 bin. Good find!
    In the beginning, God created wilderness..and it was good. Lamar Marshall- Bankhead Warrior
    Getting old is not for sissies! My mother in law Opal!
    It's me It's me It's Mr.T

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    You're killing me. I never find ripstop, let alone digital camo, at the Walmarts I go to.

Good find indeed!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    my walmart doesn't even have a fabric dept anymore!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast