Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    Perhaps his dimensions just cause a subtle, hardly noticeable change?
    That was my thought. I've slept in both extensively, and don't find one to be more comfortable than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    There used to be plans for a DIY BB in the forums (since removed, I believe.)
    They wouldn't have been removed.

As I recall, Thomas (IhangnBankhead) was the only person to tackle that project. His post history should contain it, if he ever actually wrote it up. I only seem to recall it from the comments on his pictures.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Sorry - I wasn't clear on the plans. I think they were in IHangnBankhead's gallery. In any case when I click on the bookmark I get an error message. Perhaps he removed them from his gallery?

Don't know if its of any interest, but the difference in measurements - the amount the side length is shortened- is 14 inches. That seems like quite a bit.

I've been thinking it might be interesting to build a test hammock with some webbing running from one end to about the middle of one edge, with a buckle to adjust it, and see how various lengths would change the lie of the hammock.

Images
    the shape the edge of the traveler hammock fabric assumes when your feet are laying against the edge (foot area) is the same shape the edge of the hammock body takes in the bb. the footbox is there on the bb because the net tapers very severely right there at the feet. if the hammock body was sewn directly to the net, foot room would be severly diminished. the footbox simply allows the foot area of the hammock to be used to it's full potential without the net causing any restriction to foot room. if the edge of the hammock was sewn to any tapering net shape, then that would restrict the potential of the hammock body fabric. with the footbox, the fabric is not restricted by the net shape, with a no-net hammock, there is no net to restrict the hammock fabric in the first place, so again, no restriction in foot room in either case... same/same.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Thanks everyone for all the input on the foot box! I am trying to decide what warbonnet hammock to purchase. I just was not sure if there was an overwhelming factor the design may have on the comfort level between the two.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    OK- just did a little research in the extra bedroom (and my wife calls it a nap!) I concede the point - and I know I've noticed this before: the edge does not take the tension at the foot end and the foot box just drapes loosely over my feet (with bugnet open.) So, sure, the material is there to allow the end of the hammock to open without the bugnet binding.

Brandon- if I give decide to buy a hammock sometime, yours are at the top of the list.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Having built numerous hammocks of most every style (and used most of their commercial counterparts) - my initial thoughts are that the (supreme) comfort of Brandon's hammocks (one of which I own and prefer) has as much to do with the end whipping style as anything else. It opens the hammock up in ways that channels or other gathering methods do not.

You can't go wrong with a BB.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Sorry, I'm late to the party.

Final conclusion is that the footbox DOES NOT affect the lay of the hammock, right?

Only benefit on a no net model would be that it helps keep your feet and TQ from falling out, right?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    What does the foot box offer if there is no gain in comfort? Is it extra wiggle room for the feet? I have tried a BMBH and the freedom of movement for the feet is quite apparent as they are not pressed to a side. Perhaps this is the same with the foot box? I haven't been able to figure this out from photos videos etc. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    perhaps your down won't get compressed and your feel will be able to stay warmer?
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Same question.
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Well, nothing. The footbox is a triangular piece of fabric that attaches the body of the hammock to the netting. It is clearly seen in the first attachment in post #4.

If you put that same fabric on a non-netted hammock, it might serve to prevent the foot of your top quilt from draping out of the hammock, but I don't see much other purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post

Final conclusion is that the footbox DOES NOT affect the lay of the hammock, right?

Only benefit on a no net model would be that it helps keep your feet and TQ from falling out, right?
    This is also a late response, but I have noticed something about the BB and my HH before I cut the net, and maybe another hammock or two: The BB in particular is great to use with a leg pad, and some others are not nearly as handy to use with a leg pad. By that I mean: with some hammocks, it is a little inconvenient trying to position the leg pad and keep it there. For example, with some of my hammocks there is a tendency for the pad to slip out of the hammock.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

I went ahead and sewed a footbox on my DIY gathered-end hammock. Arguably, my hammock should be about a foot longer than it is due to my height.

My experience is basically Yes. I had issues with my feet slipping out of the hammock, now I do not.

The downside is that I can no longer get in the hammock from that side as the stitching is taking all my body weight. (I used lighter fabric for the footbox, in retrospect, I should have used the same fabric and bar-tacked the ends of the seam) The footbox effectively shortens that side of the hammock, elevating that side of the hammock as I lay in it. It's not a big deal, but that effect could be enhanced by how the ends are tied up.

If you look at the pics from IhangnBankhead, he made one with a head and foot box... he ended up adding a zipper to be able to enter/exit the hammock.

Overall, I'm happy with the footbox, and will definitely keep it.

Images

no, it definately does affect the lay.

the blackbird without it would be severely cramped. by using the footbox, the netting of the blackbird doesn't have a negative effect on leg room. since the traveler doesn't have a net, there is no restriction there either.

the footbox is useful (does something) on netted hammocks only, in which case if allows you to have all the leg room the hammock body is capable of providing, without being restricted by the shape/taper of the netting. on a no-net hammock, the footbox wouldn't do much

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast