Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool I Made My First DIY Hammock on National Hammock Day

Yesterday (22 July) was National Hammock Day. Since inclement weather prevented be from getting any hang time, I decided to sit down and make myself a hammock, an undertaking I had never dared to try.

I had some materials already on hand, chief among them some 1.9-ounce Epsilon ripstop nylon in Multicam, my favorite pattern. I also had several yards of inexpensive 1.1-ounce Coyote Brown ripstop nylon I'd puchased from DIYGearSupply.com, so I decided to put the two fabrics together to make a double-layer netless hammock, since I prefer a firm lay and because I knew ir would be durable and bug-proof. Also, not being a gram weenie, I liked the versatility of being able to use it with a sleeping pad.

Constrained by the width of the Multicam, I cut both fabrics to 138" x 59", which yielded a finished size of about 132" x 57", a respectable 11-foot hammock. I put a folded hem with a single row of stitching down the long sides of each fabric. Then I pinned them together with outer sides touching (i.e., inside out) and sewed a single row of stitches down the two short sides (the hammock ends) to hold them in proper position for the rest of the assembly.

Next, I tuned the hammock right side out and laid it flat, so that the end seams were now inside (between the two layers of fabric. I set to rolling the long side seams inward (on both the inner and outer layers) and pining them in place, marking a 24" wide opening for pad insertion about 12" from one end on one side of the hammock. I also noted the positions of two pairs of 3/8" grosgrain tie-outs (at both knees and both shoulders) set 45" apart on each long side (i.e., 22.5" off center).

Once pinned, I sewed all the side seams with two rows of stitching, one on either edge of the rolled hems on the long sides, such that the original row of stitches was centered and captured between them underneath a layer of fabric. I bar-tacked each end, as well as each the four grosgrain tie-outs (twice!) and both ends ends of the pad opening, which had a nice finished look inside and out after all the sewing.

To finish the hammock, I folded a generous double-layer end channel over each short end of the hammock and triple-stitched it with bar tacks, sewing carefully and trying to keep each row about a centimeter away from the next. This part of the hammock construction chewed up a lot of real estate, but it left me with two strong and sufficiently sized end channels. I Threaded 7/64" Amsteel Blue loops through each end channel in a lark's head. I was out of Amsteel, but I had a 110" Lash-It ridge line on hand, so I've installed that for now...

That was it! Total elapsed time from intention to finished product was about 10 hours, designing as I went. Total cost was about $45! Total weight is 556 grams (20 ounces!), which isn't too bad for a hammock that should be able to support up to 350 pounds -- or two of me!

I hung it and gave it a test lay at sunrise this morning (just the hammock itself, without a pad in the pocket). The lay is very comfortable, and everything feels dialed in nicely for my height and weight. I like how and where everything is sewn. Nothing snapped or popped, even with some vigorous test bounces, so that was a good sign!

It was a fun, fairly easy project. It took a little while, but the work was slow and steady without being too nerve-wracking. I'm not much of a seamster, but I was able to build a structurally sound hammock that's not embarrassing when I look at it. It was actually quite rewarding to hang in gear you designed and made yourself! After I've had some more hang time in this hammock, I might consider adding an attached bug net, but for now I can use it alone or with an add-on net, and I'll enjoy having options...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-23-2016 at 18:18.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great work! If i get brave enough I will try making a simple hammock. I even bought a machine (singer) to sew my own gear but have yet to yurn it on. Lol.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks. The great part about it is that with a gathered-end hammock if you can sew a half-decent straight line, you can make one that works; the whole process demands more from your pinning skills than your sewing skills...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Great job and nice even stitching.

I usually take alit less time but stop for a beer between stitch runs.

I've only made one double skin hammock but it is no harder than single skin.
    I like the fact that you can use 2 colours and use either on the outside.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Suspension
    Carabiners/Rings
    Images
    Well done. Seeing completed projects like this that are properly made really makes me want to begin some DIY hammock projects. Good work, thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    Great job and nice even stitching...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang-n-Around View Post
    Well done. Seeing completed projects like this that are properly made really makes me want to begin some DIY hammock projects. Good work, thanks for sharing.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Looks awesome. That's something I want to try one of these days but I've been spending too much money and time on other gear lately lol.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Exclamation DISCLAIMER

This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Ready for my first hang in this hammock in 2017, outfit with the new Klymit Insulated Hammock V sleeping pad for an overnight test.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts