Tarp
    Superfly, The Edge
    Insulation
    Black Mamba
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Differential Baffles for Top Quilt?

Making plans for a winter top quilt, i as wondering if differential baffles really make a difference in a top quilt. The baffles will be going lateral.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think it does to a small degree. You will really reach your maximum fluffiness and it still wraps around you. However it is more important as an UQ so you can get it tight and not limit the loft.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    If I were making one, I would. Doesn't hurt, and I'd take any extra help I could get with winter quilt.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It would only make a difference if the top quilt is designed so that the inner shell fits tightly to your body. Then the outer shell can assume it's proper loft.

I personally think the proper design for a top quilt leaves a lot of extra width so that the inner shell is loose around you. Then you actually get even more loft as the quilt bunches up from side to side. With this design, a differential cut is a total waste.

Also, you have to consider what position you will assume when using the top quilt. If you ALWAYS sleep on your back, then you can make the top quilt width enough to cover from shoulder to shoulder plus some extra. If you change positions while sleeping then you have to make the width enough to cover the worst case which is going to be with you on your side and you need from the ground/hammock/floor over your shoulder and back to the ground/hammock/floor. You will find that this is going to make the top quilt much wider than if you only considered a back sleeper - approximately twice the width.

Also, for any top quilt I highly recommend draft stoppers. They are essential on the ground and add a whole lot in the hammock also.

My advice for a top quilt, forget differential cut, a waste of time and energy, and just design with a sufficient width and add draft stoppers.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may want to consider the Karo Step style of quilting. TeeDee and animalcontrol have both posted threads discussing this style.

I just finished a top quilt like this and it's a very simple method. The baffles are short and easy to sew and filling is a no-brainer. Just dump it in, sew the end shut and pat the down to distribute it. The short baffles do an excellent job of keeping the down in place. It's also easy to redistribute down to a particular area. If, for example, your feet are cold, just pat some of the down towards the footbox.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    It would only make a difference if the top quilt is designed so that the inner shell fits tightly to your body. Then the outer shell can assume it's proper loft.

I personally think the proper design for a top quilt leaves a lot of extra width so that the inner shell is loose around you. Then you actually get even more loft as the quilt bunches up from side to side. With this design, a differential cut is a total waste.

Also, you have to consider what position you will assume when using the top quilt. If you ALWAYS sleep on your back, then you can make the top quilt width enough to cover from shoulder to shoulder plus some extra. If you change positions while sleeping then you have to make the width enough to cover the worst case which is going to be with you on your side and you need from the ground/hammock/floor over your shoulder and back to the ground/hammock/floor. You will find that this is going to make the top quilt much wider than if you only considered a back sleeper - approximately twice the width.

Also, for any top quilt I highly recommend draft stoppers. They are essential on the ground and add a whole lot in the hammock also.

My advice for a top quilt, forget differential cut, a waste of time and energy, and just design with a sufficient width and add draft stoppers.
    TF what do you mean by draft stoppers?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    TF what do you mean by draft stoppers?
    Extra strips of fabric along the sides of the quilt that get tucked underneath you to keep the quilt from shifting off of you and to help block cold air. Some people probably just stuff the side of the quilt underneath them, but that's compressing insulation that's not doing you any good.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    1.1 single Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly, The Edge
    Insulation
    Black Mamba
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Thanks for all the input. Jerry, you haven't had any problems with the down shifting too much? I quess if it was overstuffed it wouldn't as prone to shift?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laherb View Post
    Jerry, you haven't had any problems with the down shifting too much? I quess if it was overstuffed it wouldn't as prone to shift?
    Correct about the overstuff. It doesn't move at all unless I make an effort to pat it around. Even after taking it out of a stuff sack all it takes is a shake and a couple pats and it's ready to go.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I made both my winter and summer top quilt before I was hanging (still tent camping) and had huge draft stoppers on both of them just to keep them around me. After testing them out a few times in my hammock, I cut off the draft stoppers!! I'm in a Clark hammock and I think that because this hammock is a more tight to the body type, that my quilt didn't need the side draft stoppers. Also because I made the quilts to use on the ground, they are pretty wide. When using them in my hammock, especially my winter one, it tends to bunch up on top of me and I've got plenty of space for me to flip and flop around in my hammock without any drafts happening. My winter quilt baffles go left to right across me and it's overstuffed. When I pull it out of my backpack, I give it a good shake and put it in my hammock to finish puffing back up. I tried makeing my under quilt with differential baffles and that worked out very well. I didn't see any reason to do that with the top quilts. Just more work!!! I did end up putting a piece of silk at the head end of my top quilts. This isn't actually a draft stopper but it does keep my shoulders warmer and I'll pull it over my face and it tends to keep the condensation down, a lot!!
    TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast