Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    About 60 degrees. It doesn't matter how cold your bag is rated - the insulation on the bottom will be almost completely worthless since it's compressed by the weight of your body. You will ALWAYS want something under you for insulation, unless it's quite warm.

Agreed... My first night in a hammock, I had no pad or underquilt, just a 20 degree bag in 55 degree weather... (plus fleece sweats, wool socks, hat) I kept rolling over all night, trying to stay warm. I'd wake up with cold butt, roll over, wake up with cold shoulder, Roll over, repeat...

The next week I found this forum...

Hammock
    the cheapest thing I could find
    Tarp
    gi poncho
    Insulation
    mss
    Suspension
    braided cord
    your weight does compress the insulation, but that does not render it useless, just less effective. plus bundling in completely surrounded insulates more efficiently. I use a synthetic sleeping bag, and only use something under me below freezing. either a wool blanket inside the hammock or a poncho liner underneath.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Technically not useless...just not useful for our purposes in the experience of most of us here. Except maybe neo, but that's b/c he's got antifreeze in his veins.

Agree on the bag insulating more effectively if you toss and turn enough to cause drafts in a quilt. If you're pretty still, the quilt will be tucked into the edges and will be just as effective as a bag...except maybe for the integrated hood. But true winter bags have a draft collar, and a good separate hood (JRB, BPL, etc) can approximate the same warmth; the only difference would be a slight venting around the neck, which would only matter when rolling over. And not many people sleep in the exact same position all night, so you've made a valid point.

You use nothing underneath you above freezing...do you have any ~40F nights using only sleeping bag underneath you? What's the bag rated at?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'd say how well your back does with no under insulation also depends on the quality of the bag. The cheaper the bag, the better it will insulate your butt.... because the cheap bags are usually not very compressible

Hammock
    the cheapest thing I could find
    Tarp
    gi poncho
    Insulation
    mss
    Suspension
    braided cord
    true the less you can compress a bag, the less it will compress under you. synthetics have another advantage in that they are usually hallow fibers. meaning the interlocking fibers create loft, but the fibers themselves are hallow and full of air, the air in the fibers insulate you regardless of how its compressed.

my standard 3-season sleeping bag is my patrol bag rated to 30*, I'll also wear a pair of wool bled socks, fleece pants and a t-shirt. I've used this bag down to 30* in still wind, 35* in heavy wind, I usually bring either my poncho liner or a wool blanket to put under me incase the wind picks up.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    I have 2 old poncho liners that I can tie under my Hennessy and a wally world blue pad to go inside. With all of that I sleep in a REI Halo 20 degree synthetic bag. Toastie......
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest
    Tarp
    Equinox silnylon
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/ZLite pad
    Suspension
    webbing w/cinches
    Im using a pad, my 40 F Northface bag with a fleece liner.....

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    I've gotta say a good sleeping bag and a thin windproof undercover is great in the hammock. I love just rolling around in it..
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    I use my Montbell super stretch down bag when it gets below freezing. I have top quilts for use above that temp. I find I need the draft collar and hood to keep warm. If using a quilt I would have to wear added gear for head and neck protection anyway. Also, the Montbell super stretch system allows for freedom of movement that I also have with the quilts but without the drafts.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soysos View Post
    my standard 3-season sleeping bag is my patrol bag rated to 30*, I'll also wear a pair of wool bled socks, fleece pants and a t-shirt. I've used this bag down to 30* in still wind, 35* in heavy wind, I usually bring either my poncho liner or a wool blanket to put under me incase the wind picks up.
    You should count yourself lucky...that's better results at that temp than most of us could get. But some folks just sleep warmer than others!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast