Dutch 11' hexon 1.0 w/ fronkey
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

About to buy my new topquilt

I am about to pull the trigger on my new topquilt! I was able to sell my ENO Ignitor top quilt for how much I got it for. So now I have money to buy a new topquilt!

I am going to buy 20* Flight Jacket from Underground Quilts! But I am still on the fence about a few options.

I am going to get a no taper with extra insulation in the footbox because I like the extra room for my feet. But should I get a snap and drawstring or sewn?

Should I get the 50" vs 55"? My Ignitor top quilt was only 48" and it fit me fine. But I was thinking I could go with the 55" when I go tent camping with the wife.

I want to get at least 850 Goose down, mostly because I don't like the smell of duck down when it gets wet. It looks like the difference between 850 and 950 gd is only $20. Is it worth it?

I am so excited to order this top quilt. Of course, I will probably spend days trying to figure out the color combination.
    Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop 'til nightfall.
    Pippin: What about breakfast?
    Aragorn: You've already had it.
    Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I have a 48" wide, 50" wide and a 58" wide. The 58" is overkill for my hammock but I had it when ground sleeping. I don't think I'll have any issues staying tucked in a 50" wide because I can do it with the 48" summer series when needed.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Good choice! I have 2 Flight Jackets, both 50" wide, which is fine for me. If I ever get a get a 0* quilt for uber cold weather, I might get the 55" width, just to leave a little room for winter layering and to have little more tuckable fabric to prevent drafts. As for the footbox, I only want the sewn version so there's zero drafts. If my feet get too hot, I just kick them out of the footbox and let that lay on top of my feet. The only type of quilt that I might even consider getting a drawstring footbox would be a 50* quilt for really fair weather camping.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ 13' WD
    Insulation
    F/L WINT LYNX
    Suspension
    WHOOPI/DUTCH BUCKL
    I went with the no taper and I regret it. I wanted a little more footbox room but the no taper footbox is cavernous.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout703 View Post
    I went with the no taper and I regret it. I wanted a little more footbox room but the no taper footbox is cavernous.
    This is what makes us all different. I only get no taper foot boxes as I can't stand the tight spaces of these tapered quilts. I guess that's why they say HYOH huh.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Breakfast View Post
    ...I am going to buy 20* Flight Jacket from Underground Quilts! But I am still on the fence about a few options...
    Such a personal choice and that's why there are so many options. I vote for sewn footbox, taper, 50" wide, and the 950. My only caution is to get the length fit right. I've heard folks say they like to pull a quilt over their head, which I don't get at all... especially for a down quilt, you want the quilt to have enough room to drape over your shoulders, but not so much it rides up to be just under your chin where it can get all the moisture you exhale, much less be over your head to capture all of that moisture.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This is what makes us all different. I only get no taper foot boxes as I can't stand the tight spaces of these tapered quilts. I guess that's why they say HYOH huh.
    I'm with you on zero taper. I'm a tall-ish guy with long-ish legs and big-ish feet, and even though I don't budge much at all while I'm actually sleeping, I like to have some room to move down in the footbox while I am lounging in the hammock still awake. The no taper option is great for this.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Looks like lots of good advice, on the value of 950 vs 850 it's a matter of weight. If you are carrying it on your back $20 is the cheapest couple of oz you will ever buy.... My rule of thumb is $50/oz to reduce weight in my pack but some folks will spend upwards of $100/oz.... WOW!!!!
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    You can't go wrong with a Flight jacket, i did - no taper, snap and drawstring, but i went with duck down and could not be happier, the quilt is amazing, it really turned out great, got one for me and one for the wife as well and it was worth every penny!..

• + New Posts